?? about grinding meat

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with grinding my own burgers and blends. I thought about grinding chicken or turkey for burgers too. Has anyone made their own chicken burgers? Any tips, tricks or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

I love using boneless skinless thighs for chicken burgers and sausage making as there is more fat in there and I like the flavor more of dark meat. Anytime I make chicken sausage that is what I use and I save some of the non mixed chicken for chicken burgers. Or the mixed chicken that isn't cased can always be made into patties.

After grinding I form and freeze the patties. It helps keep it from falling apart on the flip and keeps it from sinking into the grates when I first put on the grill.

Keep the chicken meat as cold as you can stand handling it. Also your equipment. If your grinder is made of metal put the horn, plate, blade, and worm in the fridge before grinding so it gets cold. The main reason is will help with the meat not to emulsify and getting mushy. The meat will be chopped/cut when ground and not just pressured thru the grinding plate.

I would go so far as to say it should be par-frozen. I do this with beef/pork to ensure a good grind. If it's getting stiff in the freezer, it's just right.

+1
Keep the chicken meat as cold as you can stand handling it. Also your equipment. If your grinder is made of metal put the horn, plate, blade, and worm in the fridge before grinding so it gets cold. The main reason is will help with the meat not to emulsify and getting mushy. The meat will be chopped/cut when ground and not just pressured thru the grinding plate.

Thanks guys. Ya, I do keep the meat almost frozen. I probably shoulda said in my OP, I've never had a chicken or turkey or veggie burger! Do you add any kind of seasoning or flavoring to the grind, or just season when cooking?

Given the bacterial state of most poultry, you might want to scald the meat first, then freeze, then grind. As far as flavoring, I'd try unseasoned first to get a baseline, then experiment from there.

I take two boneless skinless breasts, about ten oz. bacon and grind that. I then spice with a little worchestershire, Tony's, black pepper, and a good helping of grated cheese. Mix well and cook indirect over some charcoal with a stick of some wood on there. It holds up well and is excellent!

Jack

Patties no, but stuffed in casings yes.

Strike that, I guess I have cooked mini patties of chix to test for sausage filling.

Thanks guys. Ya, I do keep the meat almost frozen. I probably shoulda said in my OP, I've never had a chicken or turkey or veggie burger! Do you add any kind of seasoning or flavoring to the grind, or just season when cooking?

You sure can add some spices. Start with what you like, S&P. Add some herbs or anything else. Maybe even some cheese (cheddar or pepper jack). Rule of thumb in my meat shop was after making sausage we would let it set in the cooler over night and allow the spice to melt and penetrate the meat before freezing. Keep in mind most spices are dehydrated crystals so they need to be re-hydrated for optimum flavor. Because most of the time folks pull sausage/patties out of the freezer and go cook them that day.

I do both because I'll have some ground that is plain and add spices when making the burgers. But as mentioned when making chicken sausage I will save some of the mixed chicken sausage that isn't cased to make into meatloaf, burgers, meatballs etc.

Here is some wasabi ginger ground chicken sausage I cooked up tonight. No additional spices needed for this.
62msmCYl.jpg

QpeuVLQl.jpg

QgHM6kFl.jpg

aSyVLpcl.jpg

yrmQ8vVl.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Back