Turkey on UDS how long?

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The birds in the brine. Planning to smoke it on the Frankenstein's monster UDS @ about 225. How long will it take? What rub might be good?

I usually google for cook times, but most results will be for a cook temp of 325 or thereabouts.
Also, you didn't mention how big the turkey was. This will make a difference.

Just curious, why cook at a lower temp?

This is a good guide based on weight, but it's for a more "traditional" roasting temp:

http://allrecipes.com/howto/turkey-cooking-time-guide/

This is my first bird (turkey) on the UDS about 15 #s . It's in Patio Daddios suggested brine. I try & cook low & slow on most things is this an issue with turkey?

Hot hot hot....one cooker I'm going over 350 and another will be way hotter but that one will be spinning.

Spatchcock for a quicker cook

is this an issue with chicken OR turkey?
Fixt.
Yup. Hotter for the birds.
And as mentioned, Spatchcock.
It will fall apart on it's own; spatching organizes the deliciousness..

Well I survived my first UDS Turkey cook. The wind was blowing & it was chilly. The temp on the smoker hovered at about 310. I smoked the bird for almost 4 hours. The internal temp never rose above 150. So I ended up finishing it up in the oven at 375 degrees. I was worried the meat would be dry after the longer than intended cook. but it came out well. The dark meat seemed to take in more of the smoke than the breast did. Is that typical? Anyway thanks Farkers for your input, had I went with my original low & slow I may still be cooking the bird.

Well I survived my first UDS Turkey cook. The wind was blowing & it was chilly. The temp on the smoker hovered at about 310. I smoked the bird for almost 4 hours. The internal temp never rose above 150. So I ended up finishing it up in the oven at 375 degrees. I was worried the meat would be dry after the longer than intended cook. but it came out well. The dark meat seemed to take in more of the smoke than the breast did. Is that typical? Anyway thanks Farkers for your input, had I went with my original low & slow I may still be cooking the bird.

I think I would sooner cook in the cold than in the wind. You had both!
I done about a 15lb turkey on my UDS. Pulled it @ 165 after 3hrs it ended up being really moist.

I did mine on my UDS and had the wind but not the cold, i blocked the inlet that faced the wind and it helped me get it up to 350 or so. 14# bird on a stand took about 2 1/2 hrs.

Back