Butcher paper vs Aluminum Foil

N2Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The other day I cooked ribs and my son home from college swore he could taste a metal taste to the meat after I had wrapped in foil. I've never noticed this. But it had me thinking, would butcher paper be better for wrapping ribs, briskets and butts??? If so, where is a good resource to find it. Thanks

try nakid brother, mop it no foil or paper

Thousands of BBQ teams wrap their ribs in foil every year for decades. If there were the slightest chance it would come off in the meat, no one would use it in competition. It must be something else. Maybe something on your ribs is very acidic??? That being said, try Restaurant Depot or find a butcher and ask him where they get theirs from.

My wife doesn't like a lot of bark on ribs in particular, so I usually wrap them when cooking HNF which is most of the time. Maybe I will try naked but add a water pan to see what kind of bark I can get. Is the butcher paper waterproof where it will keep the juices in when using?

I found paper at sams club, you want the food grade unwaxed. its not water proof but it does hold in juice, but if its not sitting in a foil pan you'll lose most of it as soon as you move it.

I use butcher paper for brisket only. Butcher paper essentially allows the meat to breath while continuing to cook/bake instead of steam and softening up the bark with foil.

I tried it on ribs and pork butt once, and didn't like the impact it had on cook time, and I obviously did not have any rendered juices to mix back into the pulled pork.

Butcher paper will definitely slow the cook process down. It works pretty well. I prefer it for brisket only, as it preserves the bark and slowly cooks the brisket without drying it out.

Naked ribs, but wrap up the brisket because I get them aggressively trimmed from the butcher.

Try POSpaper online, they also sell on Amazon. I bought the 30" with a stainless dispenser.

Did you add any acidic liquid like apple juice? Some acidic foods react very badly to aluminum an can leave a metallic taste.

Even Apple cider vinegar causes a bad reaction.

Did you add any acidic liquid like apple juice? Some acidic foods react very badly to aluminum an can leave a metallic taste.

I think this is most likely the problem. Or you might have gotten a touch of dirty smoke before the wrap. I had a chuckie that was getting too much white smoke so I wrapped in foil to speed things up and shield it from the smoke. It came out with a background note that I described as tinny. Could very well have happened to you.

As far as butcher paper goes. If you don't wanna invest 30 bucks on a big roll then I'd just run by your local meat dept and ask for some. They will usually hand out whatever you need for free.

I use butcher paper for brisket only. Butcher paper essentially allows the meat to breath while continuing to cook/bake instead of steam and softening up the bark with foil.

I tried it on ribs and pork butt once, and didn't like the impact it had on cook time, and I obviously did not have any rendered juices to mix back into the pulled pork.

Butcher paper will definitely slow the cook process down. It works pretty well. I prefer it for brisket only, as it preserves the bark and slowly cooks the brisket without drying it out.
+1...darkoozy when i cook ribs i take a piece of foil just big enough to cover the bottom and sides of the rib loosely...i leave the top totally open for water evaporation leaving the rendered rib fat to slowly fry the awesome bark i worked so hard for...give it a try i think you will like it.

This is probably the problem. We make our cole slaw and it has cider vinegar in the dressing. That being said we keep slaw in a zip lock plastic bag until time to serve, then into aluminum pan. We found that putting the slaw into aluminum pans early resulted in a metallic taste.

I have never noticed a metallic taste when foiling ribs. I did try a side by side rib cook using foil vs. parchment paper and found that both had about the same effect on the ribs i.e. tenderness/bone pull back. Parchment paper might be worth a try to you.

Back