Lang 36 Stretch

Vinny Mozzarella

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm picking up my Lang at the end of the month. I'm not much on making modifications but I was wondering what mods people have made that has made their life easier.
Thanks
Vinny

WSM
Lang 36 Stretch

We have had our 84 for about 20 years. Haven't changed a thing.

The bottom of my firebox is lined with firebrick. It makes it easier to shovel out ash because the bottom is pretty much level with the bottom door frame now. I also have the criss cross expanded metal added to the fire grate to keep the coals from falling through.

I bought mine used with both these changes already made. I took the brick out just to see how the cooker acted as intended by the manufacturer. I didn't see much difference in performance so I put them back in for ease of ash removal.

Purrs like a kitten though. You should enjoy it. I'd like to figure out if I can get the top shelf a little closer in Temps to the bottom, but other than that I love mine. My top rack runs about 100 degrees hotter when the fire is blazing, and about 50 degrees hotter when the fire tames down a bit. I have the regular 36 though, not the stretch.

Only thing you need to add is wood and meat.The expanded metal on the grate is a good idea,but you don't have to have it.Some people use heavy duty foil in the bottom of the fire box for easy cleaning.Hope you enjoy your's as much as I do mine.

only thing I would do is I went to wally world and went to the cooking section and bought a $4 metal pan to catch the ash for easy dumping .

Yep you bought a Lang so you don't have to make mods... Enjoy your new cooker.

You're going to have a great time cooking on your new Lang.

Congratulations on your new Lang, you are going to love it. The only thing I added was a cris-cross grate to help hold the coals. Good luck and get ready to start making some really good Q!:thumb:

002041030.jpg

Later,
Doug

The only mod I did was add some roof flashing to the bottom of the stack to about one inch below the top shelf grate level. Seems to help even the temps between the top and bottom grate.

I just used it as is. No one will ever get this Lang from me :]

Line your pit

The bottom of my firebox is lined with firebrick. It makes it easier to shovel out ash because the bottom is pretty much level with the bottom door frame now. I also have the criss cross expanded metal added to the fire grate to keep the coals from falling through.

I bought mine used with both these changes already made. I took the brick out just to see how the cooker acted as intended by the manufacturer. I didn't see much difference in performance so I put them back in for ease of ash removal.

Purrs like a kitten though. You should enjoy it. I'd like to figure out if I can get the top shelf a little closer in Temps to the bottom, but other than that I love mine. My top rack runs about 100 degrees hotter when the fire is blazing, and about 50 degrees hotter when the fire tames down a bit. I have the regular 36 though, not the stretch.
The first thing I did was to visit the local masonry supply store and had them measure and cut fire brick for my Lang 48. Keeps the cooker bottom protected from ash corrosion and makes clean out easier. Also added a stainless shelf.

Last edited:
Back