Meat Mitch?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The other day while at academy sports I seen this rub and figured I would give it a try because it has no sugar. I wonder because of the high salt content would it be Overkill if I applied this rub 4 hours prior to placing on the grill? Since I'm on keto I'm looking for different alternatives to cooking pork and other cuts of meat without using a lot of sugar. Anybody try this rub? It smells good. Today I'm going to smoke some St Louis ribs and see if I can make a high quality very tasteful rib without using sugar. This will not be wrapped and I'm estimating it will take between 6 to 7 hours at 250°

lLi88LH.jpg

I've not used that one from Meat Mitch, but I have used both their pork (WHOMP) and beef (Steer Season) rubs. I quite like the beef rub for briskets!
The guys that make the rub also own their own BBQ restaurant in KC called Char Bar.

If your looking for high quality very tasteful ribs have you considered just salt and pepper? I recently started doing just that and am blown away by how good they are. 20+ years of pouring dozens of different rubs all over my ribs and I find kosher salt/ coarse ground pepper/smoke beats them all. I do add some sauce before I wrap towards the end. Some guys prefer to add a bit of sauce then let it set up direct. That's it though, best ribs I've ever made.

Last edited:
If your looking for high quality very tasteful ribs have you considered just salt and pepper? I recently started doing just that and am blown away by how good they are. 20+ years of pouring dozens of different rubs all over my ribs and I find kosher salt/ coarse ground pepper/smoke beats them all. I do add some sauce before I wrap towards the end. Some guys prefer to add a bit of sauce then let it set up direct. That's it though, best ribs I've ever made.

I whole heartily agree. While I don’t do my ribs this way every time, for a great change of pace try just salt and pepper.

Buttrub is a good rub with no sugar. I do add turbinado sugar to it when I use it on ribs, but my wife loves it on pork chops with no sugar at all.

I wonder if there are really that many carbs left over after cooking for several hours. I'd think a lot would burn away. A teaspoon of sugar is I believe 16 calories, 4.2 g of carbs. Seems like you'd have to put quite a bit on before it would make a huge difference, but then I don't do Keto.

If you’re looking for sugar free look up naturiffic. Most (if not all) of their rubs are sugar free, including sir porkalot’s rib rub! And it is a brethren owned company!!

*disclaimer: I have not actually tried any of these rubs, but I have heard high praise on this site

If you’re looking for sugar free look up naturiffic. Most (if not all) of their rubs are sugar free, including sir porkalot’s rib rub! And it is a brethren owned company!!

*disclaimer: I have not actually tried any of these rubs, but I have heard high praise on this site

I've got the link to their Amazon account and I will be placing an order tonight

I am a big fan of Meat Mitch rubs and sauces. Everyone I have tried I have enjoyed.

Salt and pepper is one of those combinations that "seems" basic, but it really does pack a ton of flavor. I was in the same boat as you and ever since my very first BBQ (a rack of Baby Back Ribs) I've always used a rub containing a ton of ingredients. I opened my BBQ food truck a couple years ago and one day I ran out of rub, but I had 5 briskets to cook for the next day, so I finally gave just salt and pepper a try. I was blown away by the flavor as I always figured just S&P would be bland and boring..not at all! Now when I cook for myself S&P is my go to on pork and beef.

@mph33, I'm in the boat of not leaving a rub on for more than an hour or so before putting it on the cooker. I've just found that works best for me. As someone else stated if you leave a heavy salt rub on for too long you can end up with a ham-like flavor.

So the rub came out pretty good last night. Next time I will try just salt and pepper and see how it goes I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I've done it with brisket and it came out perfect.

Back