Mid-week surf 'n turf

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Had a little special occasion to celebrate yesterday, so I went freezer diving and pulled out 3 small filet mignons and some gulf shrimp. The filets were from a whole tenderloin I bought on sale for something like $6/lb and broke down myself, shrimp on sale for $9/lb, taters are basically free, so I think the total cost per plate was < $10 and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. There's really no comparison between farm raised shrimp and wild caught, and gulf shrimp are some of my favorite - such a richer flavor.

I felt like trying something new for the shrimp skewers, so I hit them with Big Poppa Smokers Bacon Jalapeno Rub - it was the perfect compliment to the shrimp, big fan of this combo.

The beef was marked "angus" on the package with no USDA grading on it, but when I cut the tenderloin down I found that it was nicely marbled and after eating some, it had great flavor...some of the best filets I've had in a while. Not bad @ $6/lb.

The filets took just under 10 minutes to cook on the Primo XL, then I put on the shrimp skewers for a couple minutes per side.

Gold potatoes + two smashed garlic cloves in the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker for 10 minutes, then natural release. Mash, add one cup of whole milk, half a stick of butter, then blended with the immersion blender.

Shrimp is done!

Got all fancypants with the tater plating (corner cut off a gallon Ziploc bag lol)

Perfectly done to my liking.

Thanks for lookin' :thumb:

Last edited:
Had a little special occasion to celebrate yesterday, so I went freezer diving and pulled out 3 small filet mignons and some gulf shrimp. The filets were from a whole tenderloin I bought on sale for something like $6/lb and broke down myself, shrimp on sale for $9/lb, taters are basically free, so I think the total cost per plate was < $10 and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. There's really no comparison between farm raised shrimp and wild caught, and gulf shrimp are some of my favorite - such a richer flavor.

I felt like trying something new for the shrimp skewers, so I hit them with Big Poppa Smokers Bacon Jalapeno Rub - it was the perfect compliment to the shrimp, big fan of this combo.

The beef was marked "angus" on the package with no USDA grading on it, but when I cut the tenderloin down I found that it was nicely marbled and after eating some, it had great flavor...some of the best filets I've had in a while. Not bad @ $6/lb.

The filets took just under 10 minutes to cook on the Primo XL, then I put on the shrimp skewers for a couple minutes per side.

Gold potatoes + two smashed garlic cloves in the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker for 10 minutes, then natural release. Mash, add one cup of whole milk, half a stick of butter, then blended with the immersion blender.

Shrimp is done!

Got all fancypants with the tater plating (corner cut off a gallon Ziploc bag lol)

Perfectly done to my liking.

Thanks for lookin' :thumb:

Perfect plate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That plate is a thing of beauty. There isn't anything I wouldn't take thirds of. $6 lb for angus...unheard of here. btw...what do you have against butter "half a stick of butter" :laugh:

It’s what they recipe called for, and coincidentally, it was the exact amount left in the butter dish lol. It was Kerrygold if that makes you feel better. :becky:

Plate looks excellent.

This is my favorite cheap-o piping bag for most anything (filling for jalapeños, pig shots, deviled egg filling, etc.)! Never thought of doing it with mashed 'taters. Brilliant!

You have set the Bar very high for the next few days
that looks incredible

Back