best place to buy wood splits

joeraz007

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Live in new York and am getting a new stick burner. Looking for hickory and pecan wood splits anyone know anyplace in new York to buy this type of wood? Or anyplace on line that sells them

if you have a stick burner you will need to get a half cord if you smoke regular , try craigslist .

You'll probably have a hard time sourcing pecan, and hickory locally, tree trimmers are a good bet, but it will be mostly local maple, oak, cherry.
Any other wood imported more than 50 mi., in NY, has to be heat treated to kill invasive critters.(asian longhorn beetles, emerald ash borers, etc.)
Real wood is heavy, and shipping will kill ya, even if you can find someone to do it.
Craigs list will mostly be people wanting you to clean up there old firewood, which can be anything, but you may get lucky.
OR, you can learn to love oak and cherry. :grin:

I buy all my wood from fruitawood. In New York, unless you buy from home depot or Lowe's, wood is hard to come by.

Lots of apple orchards might be a source but I'd look up local firewood places and tree trimmers.

Cabelas sells mini logs from western, my primary source of wood here in Japan. They have hickory and mesquite. 40lbs bags, the logs are to big for me and have to cut them down. I'm able to get a few long cooks out of one bag.

Check out Baxters Smoking Woods. Excellent service and a great variety of wood.

Wood

Craig's list would be your best bet..Sticker burner is going to burn a lot of wood. Way too expensive to get online.
Dan

We have tons of hickory available in western NY, so you may find some in the capital region as well, but forget pecan.

The 50 mile limit is going to be your biggest issue since the cost of kiln sterilizing and transportation is going to make all but small amounts expensive.

Did a quick search, you should be able to source hickory, maple and red and white oak locally no problem. The biggest issue will be finding someone who has it sorted by species verses the normal firewood guys who just mix it and call it hardwood, but that just means asking around a bit.

Fruit woods like apple and cherry will be harder, and mesquite and pecan are going to have to be imported from out of state. Mesquite chunks are available and you dont need that much to add the flavor. I would simply plan on not using pecan.

I thought I'd add that your post count slogan matches your post. You really are lookin for wood to cook with. LOL

Are you in the upstate Melrose, or the Bronx Melrose, that will make a big difference. :grin:

Find a local wood dealer, as was mentioned you don't want to buy wood for a stickburner online $$$....pecan will be hard to come by up this way, luckily we don't need pecan (no offense to the lovely pecan tree) Lots of excellent local tree species that work very well; hickory, oak, beech, maple, mulberry, Apple, ash etc etc....

I've bought from Vaughn wood before - they're pretty good but I've found the wood to be too dry. I'd recommend fruitawood since it's seasoned instead of kiln dried.

I prefer hickory or pecan, but I live in a neighborhood with almost all maple and apples.

I have learned to smoke with maple--sometimes I'll buy other woods, but I'd recommend at least giving the local cheap hardwoods a chance.

My daughter loves lamb, so I even smoke lamb with apple--not a textbook choice but it still comes out great. (Although the smoke flavor is milder than I would prefer you can't beat free wood)

Back