Sunday Practice Run for GBA

WrightonQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Getting a little practice today for my first GBA comp in Sept. I picked up a couple of butts yesterday at Sam's. I wasn't real happy with the money muscle on these but they were the best one in the case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 144
The money muscle just hit 188 so I cut them off and put them in the cambro for later. I just added the ribs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 107
Butts are in the cambro, the ribs are wrapped, and I just got the pork loin on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 89
The ribs were way over cooked. I usually do spare ribs but tried baby backs this time. I think I'm going back to spare ribs.:doh:

In GBA, pork must be cooked as a single piece of meat. If you remove the money muscle, you cannot return the rest of the butt to the cooker.

The pork box looks like a 10. Just be sure if you put in tubes there are at least 6 of them. Need to get the glaze on the loin more even.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely work on getting the glaze more even on the loin. I didn't realize you could not separate the money muscle once it was done. I have only done a few FBA events and you can separate it once the muscle is fully cooked but I know you can't cook it separately from the rest of the butt.

Yes there are differences in rules between the various sanctioning bodies. The GBA rules can be found at: http://www.bbqga.org/gba-rules/

From the rules:
10. MEAT CATEGORIES: The following categories are sanctioned by the GBA.
a. Pork Ribs: Loin back, baby back or spare ribs only. No country style ribs.
b. Pork Loin: May be bone in or bone out, Must weigh 5 pounds or more.
c. Pork: Whole shoulder, Boston butt, Picnic or Whole ham. Must be cooked as a single piece of meat.

13. DISQUALIFICATION: An entry may be disqualified by the GBA Lead Representative only and may occur at any time during the judging process. An entry may be disqualified for any of the following reasons:
G. Not cooking pork as a single piece of meat.

Back