Fast Eddy PG 500 vs Yoder ys640

Digger49r

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I hope this post is in the right spot. I've been looking into buying a vertical smoker for a while now but being in Canada they are prohibitively expensive by the time I add shipping, the exchange on the dollar, duties and taxes at the border. My choice were narrowed down to Humphrey's and Meadow Creek.
That brings me to pellet burners available here in Canada. I can get a Yoder ys640 (3k up here) or the Fast Eddy PG 500 (about 2.5K) here. I was looking for thoughts on each. I'm interested in doing ribs, briskets and pork butts mainly. I'm presently using a Napoleon gas grill and a Weber Kettle ......... with great results I might add.

I can compare the two cookers, I only own Yoder's. The YS640 does a great job on all three meats you listed. And nearly set it and forget it.

This was taken right from a Pellet Smoking Forum.....

"What I don't care for with the PG500b is the zone design. One smaller zone is dedicated to grilling, another for smoking, etc. The design just isn't conducive to filling it up with pork butts if I wanted to do that for a larger cook.

The Yoder is a heavy duty, built-like-a-tank cooker with plenty of room. BUT there's a trade-off for the extra room and uber thick metal. It takes longer to warm up and uses more pellets. Their controller is hit or miss with people; some folks love it and some don't. We have some members here who love their Yoders."

If you are planning on doing large cooks the Yoder has a lot more room for smoking. The PG 500 is really nice too but zone 1 can only be used for direct grilling and zone 2 is high heat as well, so you have zone 3 and 4 to work with for smoking. If you are only cooking a couple of racks of ribs a pork butt or 2, maybe one good size Brisket then the PG 500 could work as well.

They are both high quality grills with great reputations.

Last edited:
I have owned and loved them both.
I liked the PG500 enough to buy one for my Daughter.

I moved up to the YS640 because of capacity and versatility.

The PG500 has one zone dedicated to grilling which can not be used for smoking.
The 640 can switch back and forth from a grilling machine to a smoker.
Also, it handles 2 full size pans which is nice.

If you decide to go with the 640, ask and we will offer opinions on the wide range of accessories available.

Either one will produce great quality Que.

TIM

Love my 640. Butt and rib cooking machine. I don't cook much brisket so can't comment there but i bet it will do a good job as well.

Just went through this same decision and ordered a ys640 last week. If you are going to reverse sear and grill, highly recommend getting the two piece diffuser plate. I also ordered the griddle and grill grates and cover. I chose the yoder for the look, capacity, ability to direct grill and sear, and overall looks and just a feeling on it. Also reports of it producing good smoke flavor. The pg500 has four distinct zones and has a more adjustable controller if you like to fiddle with such things. Both appear to be great cookers. I'll know more in a week or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm in Hamilton, Ontario and live close to the border so shipping to my US box helps sometimes.

I was sold on a yoder to go with my Komodo Kamado grills but found a deal on a Traeger pro 34 locally and fell in love for pellet smoking. Recently I put my hands on the new traeger timberline and ordered the new 1300 timberline.

It runs the same price as the ys640 but the new features on the timberline are very impressive. Wifi, double wall steel, 1300 sq inches of grilling, larger hopper, super smoke setting, large gasket are just some of the great new features.

There is no arguing that the yoder is an amazing grill but at least take a look at the timberline I think you will be impressed. I deal with dickson BBQ in Toronto and they are a traeger dealer. Best store around my area

Back