THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grill_Guy92

Found some matches.
Hey everyone just purchased this 1967 Tonka Firebowl Grill with rotisserie. It is brand new was wondering if anyone has seen one before because I searched everywhere on line and can't find one for sale new or used just old flyers for sale can anyone help me find out if this thing has value or how rare it really is? Thanks in advance!

This looks very similar to the rig my Dad used to cook on when I was a kid. These types of grills were quite popular in the mid-late 60's, though his lasted well into the late 1980's when rust finally took its toll. Here's a print ad for the one you purchased, and very clearly indicates it was manufactured by the Tonka Corp, maker of fine toys:

fab89c82825d1b51dbe73809592def1f.jpg

My dad had several of those type grills while I was growing up. As I recall, they all came from garage sales. Had a lot of over cooked burgers, hotdogs cooked on them. They were what I learned to rotisserie on.
I'm pretty sure that is where the current rotisserie motor and spit that I use on my kettle came from.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

It has the original owners manual and bbq tip book that came with it not sure I can bring myself to use it. May just hold on to it and keep using the Red Weber!

Paid $75 it was on an online rummage sale site. I just want to find out if it has value or how rare it is cuz I searched and can't find anything

If you chose to cook on it, you will need to empty a beer bottle. You then fill it with tap water and, when there are flare ups, stick your thumb over the opening, squirt water on the flare up, and swig beer from the other hand. It is an acquired skill that requires much practice-with the bottle full of beer.
You can cheat by using a squirt bottle for the water, but the beer is essential. Just hit the flare ups with water, not the beer.

I have been wanting one for very long time. Found one on craigslist but they wanted over 200 bucks ! So you got an awesome deal.

Thanks for posting! Brought back memories of my father using the same set up. He also had a light blue squirting bottle with a red top that had multiple holes in it for putting out flare ups, I remember dousing the coals and watching the white smoke, prob. About 5 years old at the time. It wasn't long after that he got his first kettle.

Back