Workhorse 1975/Patriot Pit Freedom 94

Jon102185

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jon
I've been searching around for a while and general consensus seems to be that Workhorse is worth it, however being as I'm in New England and Patriot is closer and around the same specs just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which might be the better option or any other insight on the two.

I'm also curious on if anyone ordered the cowboy firebox and then never actually used it as that's one thing I could see being a good extra feature, but I've seen some people say it's more of a hinderance if you are trying to smoke and sear/grill as it'll fluctuate temps and cause other issues.

Thanks.

I use my cowboy firebox to manage the fire every cook. I’ve only seared steaks on it twice in the last year, but use it every week to help manage the coal bed or shift a split quickly. For that reason alone, I’d want it on every pit I own from now on. Temps don’t fluctuate, it’s 3/8 steel, and a 1k lb heat sink. It sounds like Patriot Pits customizes, so either way get that feature.

I emailed Patriot regarding adding the cowboy and was told they don't offer it do to overdraft/maintenance/and temp fluctuations so down the road they may offer something, but not any time soon.

Main reason I'm looking for more info on the feature and overall before I jump the gun as wait times differ dramatically between the two so whatever I pick I don't wanna regret later.

I wouldn’t rant a straight flow offset without the cowboy option. I use mine quite a bit. Easier to clean, can vent the fire and get to logs if necessary and of course a reverse sear tri tip over the fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't really worry about the Cowboy firebox as it's not essential. Sure, it can be a nice feature to have, but it's not a deciding factor in my opinion. Things in life can change very quickly, so I'm one of those people who is keen on buying something now rather than spending umpteen months with "analysis paralysis."

From what I've seen online (no hands on experience) those Patriot pits looks impressive. Workhorse has also cemented themselves in the market with good pricing and incredible quality. You'll be fine either way so go with whichever is tickling you more at this moment.

I've had the 1975 with the cowboy grill for over a year. It's worth it. No draft/temp fluctuation problems. Much easier to move splits around and clean out. I've used it a couple times for steaks and a couple times to sear tri-tip. Works great.

they don't offer it do to overdraft/maintenance/and temp fluctuations

None of these are an issue at all with the cowboy firebox on my 1975. Actually, I would say quite the opposite. Maintenance is way easier. No leaks or overdraft. I can manipulate the fire/coal bed much quicker and results in less of a temperature drop. It's big firebox so reaching in from the end can be tough if you have a stubborn fire or wood that just doesn't want to catch on fire right away.

I revived an email yesterday from MillScale that they are taking orders for delivery on their 94 in March. Workhorse is an excellent pit from the makers of Primitive Pits; their units were engineered using fluid dynamics of heat and smoke. Patriot Pits looks very impressive and their video reviews on YouTube seems to be a great contender. I recently saw a new creator on the block out of Ontario Canada called Bog Line BBQ. Because of exchange rates of CAN to USD, their pricing is attractive. Finally I would also consider Shirley Fabrication out of Tuscaloosa, AL for custom fabrication. They build excellent smokers to your specs, however you will have some additional time waiting because each cooker is built
By hand to each individuals needs. Options with their pits are direct flow or reverse flow, pipe or tank or cabinet or hybrid, steel thickness, warmer box, and whatever else you want added to a cart or trailer.

I had the cowboy feature on my Brazos. Used two or three times to sear ribeye's and it was no better than searing on my Kettle and twice the trouble.

When I first got the Brazos, I used it to add splits but quit and used the firebox door entirely. I lined the bottom of the firebox with firebrick to retain heat, it made opening the top of the firebox seem silly.

After 4 years with the Brazos, the only time I used the cowboy was to set a charcoal chimney in the firebox to get coals ready to use on my Kettle.

My Franklin does not have one, it has an insulated firebox and I don't miss the cowboy option , at all .

Last edited:
None of these are an issue at all with the cowboy firebox on my 1975. Actually, I would say quite the opposite. Maintenance is way easier. No leaks or overdraft. I can manipulate the fire/coal bed much quicker and results in less of a temperature drop. It's big firebox so reaching in from the end can be tough if you have a stubborn fire or wood that just doesn't want to catch on fire right away.

Yeah that's where I'm torn on getting one and maybe I don't use it all the time, but having the option for this price point is the hang up.

The other issue would be time frame Workhorse is saying Oct range if ordering now and Patriot is by May which I was hoping to get something for summer time to fully enjoy it.

Yeah that's where I'm torn on getting one and maybe I don't use it all the time, but having the option for this price point is the hang up.

The other issue would be time frame Workhorse is saying Oct range if ordering now and Patriot is by May which I was hoping to get something for summer time to fully enjoy it.

Shipping costs are crazy high on these pits. That in combination with the May delivery would have me going with the Patriot.

Shipping costs are crazy high on these pits. That in combination with the May delivery would have me going with the Patriot.

For the options it's actually slightly cheaper even with the shipping to Mass for the workhorse.

I believe Patriot quoted me around $150, but the higher base price kind of offsets it anyways.

Why I'm really torn more so on features I may use/enjoy in the long run, but if I can't use it till almost next year guess it kind of doesn't matter as much haha.

For the options it's actually slightly cheaper even with the shipping to Mass for the workhorse.

I believe Patriot quoted me around $150, but the higher base price kind of offsets it anyways.

Why I'm really torn more so on features I may use/enjoy in the long run, but if I can't use it till almost next year guess it kind of doesn't matter as much haha.

I really like the Patriot Pit and all the finishes (reinforced doors, semi-insulated firebox, counter weight option, heavier/more steel, truly all 3/8 - end caps are 3/8 not 5/16 like 1975). Those might outweigh the cowboy firebox, plus the shorter wait time. I’d still try to persuade Patriot to make you a cowboy firebox though - it never hurts to ask twice. Maybe reference this thread to him so he can see the market likes that option.

I really like the Patriot Pit and all the finishes (reinforced doors, semi-insulated firebox, counter weight option, heavier/more steel, truly all 3/8 - end caps are 3/8 not 5/16 like 1975). Those might outweigh the cowboy firebox, plus the shorter wait time. I’d still try to persuade Patriot to make you a cowboy firebox though - it never hurts to ask twice. Maybe reference this thread to him so he can see the market likes that option.

I agree. I would most certainly ask again and point them here as it's the largest and most trafficked BBQ website on the internet.
People talking about yer pits is a good thing.
Customer driven.

-D

I agree. I would most certainly ask again and point them here as it's the largest and most trafficked BBQ website on the internet.
People talking about yer pits is a good thing.
Customer driven.

-D

Just my personal experience, the Smoking Meats forum has far far more traffic than this site. There's days, this place is deader than a doornail . Its nothing to what it was a few years ago.

Yeah, I asked in the back and forth through emails and didn't seem to be a go or any budging, if they later come up with something to add a grate it sounds like could be a future plan, but as of now not likely.

All the stuff you've mentioned are reasons why I'm not sure of which to pick.

I think the hang up is also slightly cause Patriot is a newer pit maker so finding reviews and and any cons isn't as readily available as Workhorse or some of these other companies that have been making them for a bit.

I also don't see myself outgrowing whichever one I pick so that's why I want the features and everything that I'll be able to enjoy and not second guess.

Back