A Classic Indian Curry (pr0n)

It's lunchtime here that ain't helping. I could eat that stuff everyday.

Looks good. Curious if pickles were a personal touch or a common ingredient/item in indian cuisine?
Commonly eaten with food, but read below!
I'm curious about the pickle too. Do you mean a south Asian pickle, or a European style pickled cucumber(etc)?
Looks great, by the way!
Pickle in American English means a pickled cucumber, but outside the USA it also means anything that has been pickled.
The pickle here is the red color pickled daikon! Here "a jar oof pickles" doesn't even have to contain cucumber, just a mustard based relish is meant.
I don't see a pickle in that dish. I'm not familiar with curry so maybe I'm just not seeing the pickle.
Pickled vegetables and roots are commonly served in/on/and with dishes in India, but remember, India is a huge country with strong independant cultures and variants so things change region to region.
My favourite is lime pickles, but it is too pungeant for The Fabulous One so I don't indulge as often as I would like.
With really spicy curries, I love to add Japanese pickles, the sweet tang and crunch is a wonderful offset while eating!
That is what you see here, it is a Japanese style pickled Daikon, or giant radish, the pink/red colored bits!

If you see enough of my cook posts, you will notice I refuse to be shackled by tradition, I go with what I find delicious, I have no time for food pedantry, life is too short!
Oh, and sometimes what I try doesn't work, so there is that:biggrin1:

Last edited:
LIME PICKLES! Ive never heard of such a thing. I live a sheltered life indeed.

Wow buccs. That looks great. I developed a taste for curry while in Afghanistan. Our cooks were Indian, and they were always excited to share their food with me while they served slop to the masses. Your rendition looks fantastic.

Looks damn fine to me. Being of Indian persuasion I'd be happy to do a curry tutorial if people are interested

I want to know, with the small bone in pieces, does the meat fall off the little bone bits or do you spit them out as you eat... I must do 6-8 chicken cutups a day for customers from indiabut always feel funny asking...

Looks great Buccs. Interestingly, I have two batches of Indian Pickle going on the window sill. One Lemon/Lime pickle and one Straight Lemon pickle. I just use it as a a dipping condiment with naan.

would likely not be a good addition to your curry. Thanks for the inspiration.

Looks terrific Buccs. It's farkin cold here right now, could use a plate of that to warm up with. :thumb:

Back