Do you pre trim before comps?

Making the food at the actual competition?

Should we also break down the hogs into ribs and shoulders on-site, or is it ok for the butcher to do that? Does it violate the spirit of competition to buy St. Louis ribs instead of whole spares? Or to have whole chickens broken down into leg and thigh portions before the contest? Is it ok to buy brisket flats? Are whole packers acceptable? Or do we need to buy the primal and trim that down to a packer brisket at the contest?

Or should we just follow the rules as defined by our particular governing body, and dispense relevant advice when asked our opinions by one of our fellow competitors, in the spirit of helping out another Brethren?

Making the food at the actual competition?

Aside from trimming, everything else required to make the food is done at the competition site after meat inspection, seasoning, injecting, cooking, presentation. I seriously doubt that having the meat trimming ahead of time does anything except give us a little extra time when on site.

While your butchering the meat don't forget to make your own sauces and rubs from scratch.

I'll gracefully back out of this one, as I know I'm wrong.

Yes Its convenient but doesnt pretim go against the whole concept.?

There are some events which do not allow pre-trim, and do present more of a challenge to the participants. At the King of the Smoker and Guinea Pig, both organized by Big Poppa Smokers, the teams are provided with a cooler of meat at the event, thereby requiring them to prep on-site. They are not restricted from pre-making their rubs, sauces, injections, etc though

I try to do everything I can beforehand. Too much can happen when on site to not have as much time as possible. Bad meat, for one, which you might not realize before trimming. There's also the habit I have of being really into shootin the chit and having some beverages that lead to doing a poor job of trimming. There's also comfort for some of us not pulling up in Toy Haulers, etc. My back would much rather I trim sitting at my kitchen table than standing over a table bent over. It screams at me when I do that.

Back