Charcuterie Thread

Alright, I got the OK to start doing this from the Mrs. Is a Craigslist mini fridge or wine fridge all I really need to start? Should I at least add a humidity meter and freezer thermometer?

Yes, you need to know so you can try adjust temp and humidity accordingly. Also valuable in trying to figure out what went wrong. :icon_blush:

A small fan for air movement would be ideal as well. Air movement is very helpful in preventing some of the bad mold worries.

Good luck!

Hand cut pork stuffed into a pig bladder. Now the waiting game. Pretty interested to see how this will turn out. Never done something quite like this one.

Man you guys are really trying to get me to start another food related hobby arn't you, first BBQ then Beer, now this?!

Now to figure out which of the two Ruhlman books to buy!

Last edited:

I second the motion. We often dry and cure stuff out of these. There are excellent sausages, bacon and host of other excellent information. One of my personal favorites is rather simple.. Canadian bacon.

Guanciale.........very fatty jowl which was fine with me. The fat was very buttery and pretty much melted on the tongue.

Check out "Dry Curing Pork". I really like it as it shows most of the recipes with % instead of Tbs, etc. Much easier to get consistent results going with the % method. Hard to over cure/salt, etc.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Curing-Pork-Pancetta-Prosciutto-Countryman/dp/1581572433/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1446564812&sr=8-10&keywords=charcuterie"]Dry-Curing Pork: Make Your Own Salami, Pancetta, Coppa, Prosciutto, and More (Countryman Know How): Hector Kent: 9781581572438: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513VOLrUKJL.@@AMEPARAM@@513VOLrUKJL[/ame]

All nice shots of the finished product!

But how about some shots of the curing chamber setups you all are using?

Making mine now out of a frost free standup freezer with STC-1000 temp control, WH8040 humidistat, ultrasonic humidifier, fan, etc.

Show us some chamber pics!
Thx!

Show us some chamber pics!
Thx!

I keep meaning to take a pic and post it........I basically followed the "Richard" set up but cut a hole in the fridge door and put a dryer flap on it and have a fan set to kick on when the humidity gets too high.

"Salami Cotto"......recently picked up the Olympia Provisions book and this looked pretty good. Smaller diameter casing than the recommended, but went with what I had on hand. 2" synthectic. Very pleased with the result.

Great thread. Ive always wanted to try this. Recently i helped my buddies grandma make sausage, soppressata and started on two proiscuto. Glad to keep the tradition going. Learned alot, she's very old school.

Now we wait.

Great thread. Ive always wanted to try this. Recently i helped my buddies grandma make sausage, soppressata and started on two proiscuto. Glad to keep the tradition going. Learned alot, she's very old school.

Now we wait.

Oddly, the "wait" is the hardest part of the process. One reason I got a separate refrigerator for aging beef and curing meat so when the supply is running low, there's a back up. Nothing better than knowing you can finish one with another just about done!

My lovely wife for my birthday got me Charcuterie by Ruhlman (along with a bunch of charcuterie made in house and a Berkshire belly from our local butcher). I will be reading this over the next couple weeks and then get to playing with stuff! If I'm going to do this I'm going to do it right, I want to get a decent frost free freezer and found a line on a cheap one on CL. Would interior dimensions of 33" high, 21 1/2" width, 21" deep be big enough for me to get started with to make a chamber? If not, what would be recommended dimensions?

Back