Pre-Cook (a week ahead?)

ColdFyre

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm providing brisket sandwiches for a church fundraiser in a few weeks and I don't have the capacity for doing 7 full packer briskets the day before. (I can't take the day off of work on a Friday to have meat ready on a Saturday.)

Would it be safe (and still tasty) if I smoked them the week before, sliced up and vacu-seal then re-heat it with the au jus prior to serving? Or would it be better to re-heat the thing as a whole in a warmer/slow cooker?

Ideally, I would love to take the briskets out of my ice chests still hot and slice it up there, but logistically it's not possible this time.

Don't slice it until you're ready to serve. What you'd have to do to have it work is crash cool it (vacuum seal, place entire thing in tub or cooler with ice water to quickly cool below 40) then either freeze or refrigerate. The day you need it, keep the brisket in the vac sealed bag, and put it into gently boiling water until heated through.

interesting idea about keeping it sealed and boiling... I wonder how long it'll take to get to re-heated in gently boiling water. (Just trying to work out some of the logistics :) )

If you're rushed for time, you can also just cook it in a low oven or on the smoker, but keep it in the bag. Also forgot to mention, if you cook the briskets in pans, keep the juice and put it in the vac seal bag before you seal it up.

I don't have the capacity for doing 7 full packer briskets the day before. (I can't take the day off of work on a Friday to have meat ready on a Saturday.)

What cooking capacity do you have? If you can cook 4 packers then you can get some help and cook an all nighter. Run pit temp at 275* with 4 briskets, 2hrs smoke then wrap. They will be done in roughly 6 hours. Place those in a large cooler to keep hot and put the remaining 3 on as soon as the first 4 come off. You have to have confidence in your cooker to cook evenly to do it but I would have no problem with this if I had to do it that way.

To me it's just as much hassle to cook, cool, freeze, thaw and reheat and I'd rather do it as I described.

What cooking capacity do you have? If you can cook 4 packers then you can get some help and cook an all nighter.
I can do 2 on my traeger and 2 on my WSM. It looks like I may need to do between 5-8 briskets depending on the size. (The guy I have to use for this event only gets them in the 8-12 lb range. I don't know why, but that's what he can get. I have to use him for church reasons. I'd get them where I normally go, but not for this event. But that's not a concern for me really, this is all about the prep)
So anyhow, I'm hoping to do (up to) 8 on the weekend before the event and all I would need to do would be re-heat them that day.

Back