How do you decide where to compete?

Barefoot BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Granted some of you are blessed to live in a region of this fine Country that offers a variety of choices on many weekends to pick the contest that you know and like, but lacks in quantity. So as we sit looking at the 12 contests the wife has agreed to (I know she'll bend to more IF success comes) I wondered how the smart people decide.

We have accepted that its going to take some driving.

We have been staying within about three hours of home, so the first thing we do is make a list of competitions in that radius. Then we look at ones that we have done in the past and had a good experience. For new competitions we look over the info that is available and the prize pool.

We do the same thing as Ron. Haven't ventured further than 4 hours away so far and we just finished our 10th competition of the year.

We only do half as many as you're planning. Almost all are within 2-4 hours drive time. We go further from time to time because we either really like a comp that's further away, or because we can combine our trip with a mini-vacation to see old friends who live near where the more remote comps are.

Proximity is our biggest factor. Also, we tend to return to contests we have enjoyed and avoid the few we haven't. Events where we find ourselves in unique places are cool too (our last cook's meeting was held in a City Hall courtroom).

I prefer the Friday/Saturday comps as it leaves Sunday to recover :mrgreen:

But I only cook in a few comps a year.

1) Location
2) Prefer Saturday/Sunday so I don't have to burn a day off
3) Do I know/trust the organizer - I've met the organizers of most of the contests where I plan to be a repeat customer.
4) Setting (nice grassy area, nice small town area, etc. is preferable to a gravel parking lot with no view)

There are no boundries... Except for North Dakota..... 43 and counting

My money, time and desire to cook! Actually, I'd probably go every weekend if I could. Can't!

I have a short list of Can't Miss contests for each year. Plan the schedule around those. I have a Bucket List of contests I'd really like to cook. Like cooking in Colorado and planning a fly in trip to that IBCA contest in Hilo.

Shameless Plug: I recommend consideration of Arkansas contests (IBCA, MBN or KCBS). We've got the Arkansas Diamond Cup working for 2015 and hope to expand the award to 3 places. It doesn't cost any extra!

I have a somewhat confusing way but it seems to really help. I start with picking a number of contests I want to do. Then I list every contest I am even slightly considering. so for example I say I want to do 10 contests but I list 25. Then I number using certain criteria 1 being best 25 being lowest. I then add up my scores and lowest number is main one 2nd lowest number 2 etc. In case of a tie in points I always pick the Iowa contest if it is against a non Iowa contest and if both in Iowa I pick closest.

My criteria I use
1)Distance
2)Entry Fee
3)Power
4)Type of restroom(porta potty or real for wife)
5)Extras
6)our previous success
7) Contest Reputation
8 Quality of teams
9)Number of teams in past
10) wife want order
11)my want order
12) payout to what place
13) total payout

Using all those criteria makes it fun also for me to figure stuff and that is in order of importance to me. I have never been able to do all I want to but that is how I do. One change for us here though is going to be the number of back to backs( 2 contests same weekend same location) currently there is 2 in Iowa with rumors of 5 next year. So spend gas to go to 5 but able to get in 10. I know there are others in other states as well so I am going to have to start figuring that in as well

My criteria I use
1)Distance
2)Entry Fee
3)Power
4)Type of restroom(porta potty or real for wife)
5)Extras
6)our previous success
7) Contest Reputation
8 Quality of teams
9)Number of teams in past
10) wife want order
11)my want order
12) payout to what place
13) total payout

I use a similar matrix:

1. Distance
  2. Prize pool to entry fee return % (Needs to be at least 40% return unless there is a huge exception)
  3. Is it a MABA or NEBS ToY event?
  4. Team space size
  5. Type of restrooms / showers
  6. Nearby facilities (hotels / restaurants)
  7. Number of teams
  8. People's choice contest (bonus for on site)

Don't forget team goody bag

I have done contests without goody bags, but had consistent power, real restrooms and shower, furnished pizza supper for the teams and was fairly level.....I will take that over a goody bag with a couple of coozies and pens and chip clips every time.

Back