Barbecue Hash!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
If you are not familiar with it, Barbecue Hash is South Carolina's contribution to the three main barbecue stews which are Brunswick Stew, Burgoo, and Barbecue Hash. I have found it to be an acquired taste. My favorite is the style with a sweet mustard sauce added for seasoning. This recipe can be the style served at Midway BBQ and, by adding a SC mustard BBQ sauce, can be a mustard based style. The recipe will follow soon for those who are interested.

One thing I've learned the hard way is, Barbecue Hash needs a lot of onions to be authentic. In fact, I think it needs the same amount of onion (pounds) as meat. Barbecue Hash is cooked just like Brunswick Stew and Burgoo but the process for cooking it doesn't have the second stage of adding veggies like Brunswick stew and burgoo has. In fact, SC Hash is much like the original Brunswick Stew which was basically just squirrel meat and onions cooked into a gelatinous gruel. That's basically what hash is but the meats used are beef and pork rather than wild game.

Here is a pic of the pot just before it comes to a simmer. It will take about 8 hours for this little pot of hash to cook.

Hash-Joe_zps5fe94d23.jpg

Stay tuned!

BBQ hash pretty good stuff… over the years had some At Maurice's in Columbia and Melvin's in Charleston usually has some liver mixed in …Melvin and Maurice are brothers
( the Bessinger family) ..Famous for their mustard sauce...

Memories! My dad did BBQ hash with 1/3 beef, 1/3 pork, 1/3 deer and about as many onions as meat. He would put liver in the pot wrapped in cheese cloth. He used a cast iron pot sitting on coals. We would add coals throughout the cook to keep it simmering. After boiling and stirring for hours, he would remove the liver and discard it. He would then add vinegar and mustard to get the taste he wanted. Other spices were generally added at the beginning. We would eat it over rice and man it was good. I have tried to duplicate it over the years but really didn't put the time or patience into it to do it right.

BTW - Here is the recipe - This stew is made in the style that you would find at Midway Barbecue in Buffalo, South Carolina. Add a sweet mustard/vinegar based sauce at the end for a style similar to what you would find at Maurice's Piggy Park in West Columbia, South Carolina. Use cheap cuts of meat like chuck and pork shoulder.

3 pounds of cubed beef
2 pounds cubed pork
3 - 5 lbs chopped onions
32 - 48 ounces water
1/2 stick of butter
salt, pepper, cayenne to taste

Put meat and onions in a pot, cover with water (about 32 to 48 ounces) and simmer until the meat is tender and the onions can be easily mashed. This should take about 4 to 6 hours. Remove meat from the pot and let it cool enough to handle. Once the meat has cooled, put it through a meat grinder or just chop it fine. It should be at a consistency that a young child could eat without needing to chew. The onion pieces should be chopped too. Make sure that no onion pieces are recognizable. Return the chopped meat to the pot and continue to simmer until the meat and onions reach a thick consistency with little broth. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Add butter and stir until melted. Serve hot by itself or over rice or grits or bread. It can also be served on BBQ sandwiches.

Looking good Boshizzle … I will have to try it . I will be going to Sweatman's in Eutawville
SC in Dec. I will check out the Hash ..

That looks good. I'll have to try it. Funny that the wife and I were talking about onions last night. can't remember anything we have cooked with to many onions yet. So that is right up our alley

I just...I...well...it's a dish I just have never "gotten". Looks good here tho

That's the good stuff right there!

Pat, do ya'll use mustard sauce in yours down there?

I love a good hash, but more people than not mess it up. The most typical mistake is they try to cook it in aluminum or stainless steel and almost always scorch it.

I don't like Maurice's, but there is a pretty good BBQ joint in Batesburg-Leesville called Shealy's that used to make a really good mustard hash. They are almost too commercial with it now.

We only use old cast iron pots to cook ours. I have never used a meat grinder to grind up the meat. We always pull the meat, maybe a little chop. Stirring the pot breaks up the meat even more, but you have to stay with it.

Bo, that looks good. Never had it over grits, though, always rice or bread. May try the grits, as I love good grits.

I love a good hash, but more people than not mess it up. The most typical mistake is they try to cook it in aluminum or stainless steel and almost always scorch it.

I don't like Maurice's, but there is a pretty good BBQ joint in Batesburg-Leesville called Shealy's that used to make a really good mustard hash. They are almost too commercial with it now.

We only use old cast iron pots to cook ours. I have never used a meat grinder to grind up the meat. We always pull the meat, maybe a little chop. Stirring the pot breaks up the meat even more, but you have to stay with it.

Bo, that looks good. Never had it over grits, though, always rice or bread. May try the grits, as I love good grits.

Thanks, bro!

The type of hash that doesn't call for grinding the meat is called string hash. The hash is cooked so long that the individual fibers of the meat separate and look like strings in the pot. I haven't ever had that type before but it sounds good.

Thanks for posting, looks great!

If your still judging this weekend in woodstock stop by my camp and say hello!

that's an interesting dish...I may have to give it a go at some point. thanks for sharing

Can't believe I missed this!

I'm originally from the upstate so when we made hash, it was beef hash. (Think huge cast iron cauldron, beef, onions, red pepper, hot sauce & butter.)

Down here is a different ballgame. I'm pretty sure at Melvin's & Maurice's they use a mixture of their mustard sauce and red sauce.

I prefer my Dad's beef hash over the latter but I can eat a tub of any of it!:thumb:

Back