Lets Solve A Brisket Mystery.

I am going to add another viable option. Osmosis is the culprit in my opinion. Resting in the fluid allows for it to take place. By raising above the liquid you will remove the contact and stop this from happening. :)

See I like this idea too. Its too bad I don't know enough to know the real answer when I see it.

But then again maybe there's more than one correct theory.

I am going to add another viable option. Osmosis is the culprit in my opinion. Resting in the fluid allows for it to take place. By raising above the liquid you will remove the contact and stop this from happening. :)
I agree! A good example of that would be cubed beef that has been BOILED in a pot of vegetable beef soup, the meat will usually turn out rather tough and flavorless because it's moisture and flavor was all sucked out of it and is now in the broth of the soup! This also explains why when a brisket is sitting in a pan of liquid, the volume of the liquid increases while cooking!:wink:

Last edited:
I think we have our answer(s) folks. Also I think that this is valuable information to have. Not saying that a juicy brisket can't be produced in the liquid, but I am now confident that keeping it elevated is what I will be doing from this point forward until I finally get around to trying butcher paper and then we shall see from there.

All good theories so far but I like this one the best! I doo want to try the butcher paper, but I can't imagine keeping more moisture than my last two cooks did with steaming. Probably would help the bark, but I really didn't have an issue with that either. These last two briskets gave off almost literally NO moisture into the pan when suspended off of the bottom.

...and clean up was a breeze!!!

Sitting in a liquid the brisket is being BOILED, sitting above the liquid it's being STEAMED.
If you boil broccoli it turns out limp, reduced in size because it's own moisture content has been boiled out of it, it's discolored and even loses some of it's flavor. Steamed broccoli however, is plump, retains moisture and keeps more of it's flavor and color. Neither cooking method however, is going to do a better job of preserving the moisture, flavor and nutrients of the broccoli than if the broccoli were cooked over or in direct heat as it would be in a stir-fry for instance. It's the same principle with meat.
You've established that in cooking a brisket steaming is better for moisture retention and bark preservation than boiling, so lets take it one step farther by suggesting that in order to get maximum moisture retention in a cooked brisket we should revisit the data from the broccoli experiment and conclude that a brisket is even better when it hasn't been boiled or steamed but has been cooked with it's own moisture content.
So then we're left really with two options,...
1.) Cook it naked for MANY, MANY hours till it's done, or...
2.) Wrap the brisket in butcher paper for a juicy piece of meat, with a good bark and eat earlier!:wink:
Aaaand that's my long-winded, Sheldon Cooper-esque promotional speech for using butcher paper over foil!!!:razz:

Damnit - now I have to go buy butcher paper. I'd been on the fence about trying it, but now I'm sold.

Back