THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqking225

Found some matches.
I have an opportunity to get several leads of pecan wood. They appear to have moss or algae and some type of ferns growing on them. Are these trees good to cut and age? How long do I need to age this pecan wood?

Yes it is. Iv'e noticed that on all pecan wood I've cut. The bark comes off easy when seasoned out. I do let it dry thoroughly though, I give mine a year, that is if it's green, when it's cut.

^^^I agree. I have a crap load of pecan cut to small size by my wood guy. I have to split them so they are small enough for chunks in my charcoal cookers and the bark comes right off most of the time.

I have an opportunity to get several leads of pecan wood. They appear to have moss or algae and some type of ferns growing on them. Are these trees good to cut and age? How long do I need to age this pecan wood?

Yes sir, they are perfectly fine. As to how long to season the wood, it just depends. If you can stack it in a dry, hot environment with good air circulation, 6-8 months is usually sufficient. Also smaller diameter and split wood will season faster than large diameter pieces. So again, it just depends on the wood size and your storing conditions.

if the moss freaks you out just remove the bark but I just leave it on and I can not tell the difference in taste and for seasoning I split it and let it set outside for 4 months and it is good to go for me .

Back