Treating rust on a cooker

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello

I finally got a La Caja China. It was definitely well used. Most of it doesn't show too much wear and tear however the charcoal grates and the pan that they sit on have a good amount of rust.

Outside of sandblasting them, any good tricks for dealing with rust on a cooker?

Thanks
Sam

I seen on YouTube vinegar and water (3:1 i think) mixed then parts soaked till rust comes off. Pretty cool.

If you want to remove the rust, use Evapo Rust.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDh0GU4_Org"]Cast Iron Dutch Oven Grill Restoration - Evapo-Rust Team Fitzgerald - YouTube[/ame]

Yep. Evaporust. Harbor Freight carries it. I have some grates from a Craigslist buy soaking in some right now. Give it time and take a scouring pad to it once a day to remove the stuff that's loosened up.

A wire brush on a drill will work wonders.. Usually a corded drill works better.. Spins faster.

Isn't evaporust made by the same company that makes Tenda-Rub?

A coworker swears by evaporust, but says not to leave the metal in longer than it says to.

Those things are one job use. I've burned up a few.

Meh, depends. You definitely don't want to run one continuously for a long period of time, but 10 - 15 minute intervals have been fine with me. I picked one up to strip the outside of a Weber Genesis firebox and end caps. Used it on another Genesis with no problems and am now using it for a third time on a Genesis.

Stripping 3 Genny's for $15 for the grinder and the cup brush ? That works for me.

Back