THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C J

Hi everyone,

So I am about 95% done with my smoker (just gotta paint it now), but I had a question related to the building of the charcoal chamber. I followed the generally accepted instructions on building these and noticed that the grate no longer sits on top of the 3 wingnut/screws that hold the legs together. Due to the rebar ties, the grate now sits on the sides of the actual grill itself. Is this a problem? Once I start adding charcoal I'd be concerned about the bottoms of the chamber to scratch/cut into the grill.

If I have the chamber welded to the grate, I could remove the rebar ties. Would that help? Or did I screw up and install the metal for the chamber too low along the side of the grate?

Am I just being ridiculous or should I fix this?

IMG_0663.jpg

You should be ok. The inside is going to get roughed up anyway. You could always order a charcoal ring for the 14 1/2"wsm but I don't see the need.

Thanks for the replies.

Yellowhair, I see you went with the Smokey Silver too in your mini WSM build. Good to see, I was regretting for a while not getting the Gold, but I wanted a good grill in addition to a good smoker.

You're good man! Looks like a solid job! Get cookin and post some pics!

Thanks man, and thanks for everyone else for the reassurance.

Here's a pic of the (almost) completed smoker. Not pictured are the Maverick ET-733 and the Thermoworks mini handheld thermocouple meter I bought. Can't wait to try them all out!

AlpAL9A.jpg

Actually, since your SJ is the silver with the intake on the bottom you can get away without using the coal ring. I don't use one in my mini-wsm.

The only problem I could think of would be the grate not sitting flat, or as easily. But it really shouldn't be a big deal at all :p

That is a great looking mini. It is the same thing I started on!

Thanks! It was a fun build. One more mod I forgot to mention was I'm going to replace the cheapy pin tin ash catcher at the bottom with a 9" stainless plate. Should be coming in today.

What do you guys think.... should I paint the pot black or red? My gf thinks red would look better due to the team featured on the front, and doesn't want a "black and silver Raiders thing going on".

I would recommend something over the vent holes to prevent them clogging with ash. I use a 4" octagon electric box with the side knockouts removed. $1.99 at the local hardware store saves a lot of headaches! Nice build, now get cooking!

I would recommend something over the vent holes to prevent them clogging with ash. I use a 4" octagon electric box with the side knockouts removed. $1.99 at the local hardware store saves a lot of headaches! Nice build, now get cooking!

nice idea....

Back