sweet smoke q injections

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any one tried sweet smoke q pork injection? Beef injection? About how many butts/briskets do you get out of a 16oz bottle? Do you mix/thin out the injection w/ anything? Thoughts on best rub/sauce type to go w/ it other than his? (what kinda flavor profile does the injection have in the first place)

I have used both and walked in pork more than once and the reason I have not walked in brisket has nothing to do with the injection :mad2:

The pork gets mixed 1 part concentrate to 2 parts fruit juice (recommended) so that is only a guideline. I have used 2 different juices and diluted it with water also to get a flavor that I felt was compatible with the sauce I was using, obviously if the sauce is sweet use a sweet juice, less sweet use a less sweet juice or dilute it.

The beef is 1 part concentrate to 4 parts water or broth (recommended). I think this is an important part of the flavor profile as you are really looking to enhance the flavor of the meat, not looking to compliment the sauce. I have played a little with this and find that the recommendations are pretty close, and the flavor profile is very dependent upon the broth being used, is it salty, strong etc. as it will affect the flavor. I learned quickly that all broth is not created equal.

I am sure Jim will chime in on this as he frequents here, but I don't think he really developed this around his sauce. It works well with any sauce if you use an ingredient (juice or broth) that enhances the sauce you are using.

They are both 23 oz bottles so if you figure out you mix ratio and go from there it will get you a quantity. I can do 4 butts with 1 bottle and probably about 6 briskets? I have never done that many but I am guesstimating there.

Use it as needed, toss and buy more, Jim uses the money wisely for more competitions :clap2:

Only used pork one so far but did get a second place call when I used it the one time last year. Will be using it this year. I used pineapple juice to mix it with.

I've only used the pork injection and I really like it. I mixed with 1 part apple juice, 1 part white grape juice and 1 part concentrate.

For the Pork JUICE I recommend 1 part concentrate to 2 parts fruit juice. I usually mix mine up with straight apple juice and sometimes I add peach or white grape depending on my mood...lol, but always at least one part of apple. I will say you have to be careful when adding a higher acidic juice like pineapple or orange not to put too much in because it will breakdown the meat fibers and make the texture a little weird. That also depends on how long you let the meat rest after injecting before it goes on the cooker. 1 bottle of Pork JUICE mixed at these ratios will be enough for 4-5 butts depending on size.

For the beef JUICE, I recommend 1 part concentrate to 4 parts liquid of your choice. I use 1 part concentrate to 2 parts water, 1 part apple juice, and 1 part peach nectar...now everyone knows what I mix it with...lol. I try to stay away from beef broth because they are all different, the concentrate has plenty of beef favor...IMO. 1 bottle will do 4 briskets depending on the size, I use about 4 ounce of concentrate for a 15-16 lb brisket.

For the Pork JUICE I recommend 1 part concentrate to 2 parts fruit juice. I usually mix mine up with straight apple juice and sometimes I add peach or white grape depending on my mood...lol, but always at least one part of apple. I will say you have to be careful when adding a higher acidic juice like pineapple or orange not to put too much in because it will breakdown the meat fibers and make the texture a little weird. That also depends on how long you let the meat rest after injecting before it goes on the cooker. 1 bottle of Pork JUICE mixed at these ratios will be enough for 4-5 butts depending on size.

For the beef JUICE, I recommend 1 part concentrate to 4 parts liquid of your choice. I use 1 part concentrate to 2 parts water, 1 part apple juice, and 1 part peach nectar...now everyone knows what I mix it with...lol. I try to stay away from beef broth because they are all different, the concentrate has plenty of beef favor...IMO. 1 bottle will do 4 briskets depending on the size, I use about 4 ounce of concentrate for a 15-16 lb brisket.

Jim,

Care to elaborate on how to use Beef Juice as a wrap liquid? Same ratios?

Jim,

Care to elaborate on how to use Beef Juice as a wrap liquid? Same ratios?

I haven't used it yet as a wrap but I would suggest mixing it at the recommend ratio to start and tweak it depending on taste of the au ju you're looking for. I do put the unused mixed injection into the pan when it goes on the smoker.

I haven't used it yet as a wrap but I would suggest mixing it at the recommend ratio to start and tweak it depending on taste of the au ju you're looking for. I do put the unused mixed injection into the pan when it goes on the smoker.

Since you're giving up secrets, what kinds of rubs and sauces are you using on your pork and brisket? Also, what temp do you pull the meats at? or is it based on time? :becky:

Since you're giving up secrets, what kinds of rubs and sauces are you using on your pork and brisket? Also, what temp do you pull the meats at? or is it based on time? :becky:

Chad...you are a funny guy...:laugh:. I will tell you all of that when you take my class :lol:

1st place pork this past weekend using it...almost a perfect score, one judge didn't agree with the other 5 in taste....:roll:

Back