Building a "Caddy" for the WSM

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. After using my Weber a handful of times, I started thinking it needed to have casters on it. But I didn't want to make any modifications to the unit itself. So I thought I would just make a "creeper" type dolly out of wood and put the Weber on it. But then I realized I'd also like some shelves to put food trays and such on. So I came up with a cabinet type design, with fold down shelves. I drew it out on paper, and then went yesterday to buy the materials. I started building it last night, and will be going back out soon to pick up where I stopped.

I am open to suggestions, and I would like to post pics when it's done. We'll have to break out the digital camera (which we hardly ever use) to do that. But if a few people want to see it, I'll do everything I can to get the pics posted.

No cooking for me this weekend, but building this cabinet is almost as fun. Planning to cook a couple of butts for company this coming Saturday.

Smitty, that cart is awesome. Is that something Weber sells? That would have been perfect. I'm sure my wooden box won't be nearly as nice, LOL.

Smitty, that cart is awesome. Is that something Weber sells? That would have been perfect. I'm sure my wooden box won't be nearly as nice, LOL.

I'm sure someone made it but on each Google a Image is a link to where that pic is posted so you can click n see. A lot of guys buy a Stainless table on wheels from Costco or Sams and cut hole in the top.

I have been brainstorming about one myself, though I am not very crafty, but I will soon give it a try.

Remember to allow for disassembly.

That seems to be the only thing that would make the above picture a pain. Having to lift the mid section out. I have zero building/crafting experience, but it seems like a hinge system with a locking mechanism on the other end to keep it sturdy would be nice

I got the cabinet part built. Got one of the shelves built. I ran out of wood before I could start another shelf. It will have 3 total.

I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the shelf design I came up with. It folds down out of the way very easily, just like I was hoping it would. I had pictured using the shelves for food trays, spritzing bottle or other accessories, possibly the wireless transmitter for the thermo. But I discovered an added perk. By having 3 shelves, particularly as large as they are, I will now have a place to set the lid when I take it off. I had been placing it on some wood on the ground. I read somewhere not to set it on concrete, as that can chip the baked on paint.

My brother is telling me to sell the plans for it, so others can build their own.

If anyone here felt like they had to have one, I'd read through my receipts and tell you what to buy. Wouldn't feel right charging a fee for that.

I did set it up so the box portion can be pulled off of the base. For now, I have a couple of screws holding those two pieces together. I may just leave it that way. I haven't had any trouble lifting any of the parts of the Weber out through the top of the box. But if I have the shoulder surgery I'm anticipating, that'll probably change.

I'll get some pics posted when it's all done.

The caddy is essentially done. I just need to put "picture frame" trim around the 3 access holes for the lower vents. I have 6" by 6" squares cut out to reach them for now. But the square holes in the plywood look pretty plain. Slapping a little bit of 1X2 trim around them should dress them up a little. I'm trying to get a photo posted, showing all 3 shelves in the upright position. I want to post more, with the shelves down, a couple from a distance, etc. But that probably won't happen until this weekend.

Aw, you never know....it will probably be great !!!!

Do send in pics, it helps others decide on mods & styles & fix-ups.....:clap:

It rolls fairly easily with the "shell" of the WSM in it. The charcoal ring, charcoal grate, and the two food grates aren't in it right now. The casters got a pretty good dose of sawdust on them. So I think that cuts down on how smoothly it moves. I'll probably try to clean that off before my next cook.

Once it's in place for a cook, I don't plan to move it. If it would happen to start raining, I could roll it into the garage. I don't know how well it'll move when the smoker is loaded with water, charcoal, and food. I'll be finding that out on Saturday. If I need to, I can put better casters on it. I bought a cheap set from Lowe's. I paid $20 for the four wheels.

There are holes on the two sides and the back, for damper adjustment. I wanted to show that in more photos, but I had a time just getting the one posted. I will get more photos on here Saturday, probably during the cook I'm planning.

Back