How many bites before the skin comes off

RubLover

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is the definition of "bite thru skin" on chicken thighs when it comes to the number of bites taken before it comes off? I am able on the average to get about 3-4 bites before it comes off on my chicken thighs.

I understand that judges only take one bite - however I have seen them take more and what happens if say on a 3rd bite, it comes off?

I have tried various methods and they all appear to yield about 3-4 bites.

I have found in judging, i normally get 1 bite through. Then if i flip it over and take a second bite from the other side, it almost always come off then. Seems like it breaks the bond 99% of the time. I wish there was a rule that you only got to take one bite.

I take a minimum of 2 bites of any sample (usually 3 on ribs). While bite thru skin is nice it isn't a criteria for judging. I find most chicken samples usually only survive one bite before the skin comes off complete. It does happen on occasion that you can get a second bite without getting a skin flap hanging from your mouth.

I take a minimum of 2 bites of any sample (usually 3 on ribs). While bite thru skin is nice it isn't a criteria for judging. I find most chicken samples usually only survive one bite before the skin comes off complete. It does happen on occasion that you can get a second bite without getting a skin flap hanging from your mouth.

Thank you for taking the time and potentially adding physical discomfort to take a healthy sample to fairly and thoroughly evaluate each sample presented.

That's a lot of meat, and a lot of crackers, with water to wash it all down. I really do appreciate a judge that can, and will take another bite to evaluate each sample as fairly as they can.

That sounds pretty much on par of what I was taught in judging. If the chicken is the best thing since sliced bread - I "may" flip it around and take another bite.

I guess it also depends on "where" you take the bite. I usually bite on the edge and not right in the center so that I don't get a face full of sauce...

This sounds like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop"...

Does a judge ding contestants for the skin pulling off or is that a myth that a lot of us have fallen for?

Does a judge ding contestants for the skin pulling off or is that a myth that a lot of us have fallen for?

Thats hard to say as there is nothing in the rules that say you have to have bite through skin. Matter of fact, it can be served with or without the skin. I know some people will mark chicken down if they don't get bite through skin and its kind a grey area. But like i said, there is nothing in the rules that say you must have bite through skin.

IMO the bite thru skin is nice to have. If you bite into a piece of chicken and have this rubbery flap of skin hanging on your chin it doesn't leave a good impression and I'm sure it will have an impact to some degree on the overall impression left with the judge. A clean bite lets the rest of the sample leave more of an impact on the judge. They are concentrating on the taste and tenderness and not wiping their faces. I'm sure every judge looks at this differently.

If I am served skin, I am going to judge skin. It's part of the sample.

That said, skin pulling off doesn't necessarily mean the skin is tough. I've had perfectly good skin pull away from the chicken because it wasn't wrapped back around the thigh well. But if the skin is rubbery or tough, it will affect your tenderness score.

I am also a two-bite judge. I like to take a bite near the center on one side and near the upper edge on the other. I do expect the skin to pull away at some point. Like I said above, I'll judge the skin on the merits of the skin, though.

If it comes off, but you can tear it apart easily and it doesn't have 1/8" of fat on the skin, I think you are fine with most judges. In other words, loose is not nearly as bad as tough.

Thank you for taking the time and potentially adding physical discomfort to take a healthy sample to fairly and thoroughly evaluate each sample presented.

That's a lot of meat, and a lot of crackers, with water to wash it all down. I really do appreciate a judge that can, and will take another bite to evaluate each sample as fairly as they can.

well said!!.. I agree totally.. :clap2:

From what I've read and remembered, "chicken is to have a nice texture"... (judging rules) Boooo... boring, and it doesn't help in knowing what you should cook for or how to judge it.. therefore, I see bite-thru skin is a nice texture compared to a piece of skin slapping your cheek when you bite it off.

Judges should hold the chicken in a way which prevents the skin from coming off when biting if they use bite through skin as a judging criteria even though the rules don't address bite through skin. Unless you glue it on, at some point it will come off. Which bite, just as well ask the tootsie roll pop owl. Chicken skin on the chin is never a good experience for a judge. As teams, we repeatedly get dinged by judges for things like bite through skin, thickness of brisket slices, no burnt ends, when there are no judging criteria set forth on such items. Judges are applying their personal likes or desires of what they want to see in a box.

I just wash it down with a beer and then I don't need all the crackers and water....

Thanks everyone for the great and quick responses. Looks like I am doing everything correctly and if I can have consistently 3-4 licks to get to the center of the tootsie roll - I am good when judges are getting picky on bite thru skin for more than one bite...

I generally take at least 2 bites of chicken. Sometimes even after a cracker and water there is a leftover taste from the sample before. First bite is to neutralize the last one, second bite is to get the taste of what I am judging at the time. I also try to hold a thigh (if that's what I get) between my thumb and middle finger while keeping my index on the skin. I don't score down for loose skin unless it is like rubber. If it is presented with skin, it will get judged for tenderness. If you get 3 or more bites, you are good. At least at my table.

Another two-bite judge here (NOT two-bit!), taking a bite out of the middle of each side practically all the way to the bone. It doesn't make any difference if the skin comes off on either bite, but if you turn in chicken with skin on it the skin will be chewed along with the meat to determine texture/tenderness as part of the entry and therefore part of the score.

Back