Franklin Style Beef Ribs

chaostheory

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, So after learning how to cook Beef ribs like Franklin does at 285 I have REALLY enjoyed the final product. It usually takes about 7 hours to finish them off. However this weekend I am doing beef ribs and a brisket and I only cook brisket at 250. I always seem to mess up my brisket if I go hotter. My question is if I take my beef rib temp down to 250 how much longer will that take and what would the difference between 250 and 285. I know Franklin says not to cook it to low because you may not render the fat. Anyone have experience cooking beef ribs at 250. Any suggestions.......Thanks for you help fellas!!!

Sounds reasonable to me....I just wish I could get temps that accurate.

Last edited:
A friend of mine cooked beef ribs at the American Royal a few years ago. 225 for 7 hours. All the fat was rendered.

doesnt fat really start to render at around 130*? at 225 you're not gonna have any issue melting it. it just takes longer.

You should anticipate an additional 1.5 to 2 hours. They cook a lot slower at 250F in my experience. I am assuming a whole plate of three or four bones all together.

Landarc they are 4 bone slabs.

Im cooking on a Pitmaker Vault so my temps are very accurate. I need to cook them both at the same time so I need to pick a temp that will work. I really like the ribs cooked at 285 but can't seem to get brisket to turn out the way I like it at higher temps. Im just wondering if the ribs take a little longer should I have the same results at 250 as I do at 285 or is that temp difference a game changer.

In my experience, you get great results at either temperature, just that it takes longer at 250F than at 285F, you have to let em cook until you feel them slip on the bone.

If cooking on WSM put brisket on middle rack and ribs on top and it should work out great.

Don't really know what Franklin style beef ribs are, but I usually start mine at 180 for a few hours to get some extra smoke on them, then bump up the temp to 250 til done. Usually about another 4 1/2 - 5 hours til they probe tender.

My WSM likes to run ~275* +/- 25*. I do beef ribs and they take anywhere from 5 - 6.5 hours. I just did some last weekend and they were jelly at 5 hours...

I usually do beef ribs (4 bone plates) at 300F for 6 hours (22" WSM). Two weeks ago I did 8 plates at 250 for 7 hours, wrapped them for 4 hours and 7 of 8 plates really needed a spoon as they were like semi-liquid jelly. Oakridge Black Ops was the icing on the cake.

Well Im just going to do them at 250 and see what happens. She'll ride nekkid the who'll ride and I'm just going to guess 8 hours plus 1 for cool down. Thoughts.... I be sure an post some pics if I do get to drunk and forget!!

On your pitmaker vault do you have any fans hooked up to it to make sure you keep a constant temp?

you can toss the beef ribs on the top rack. mine seems to run a little bit hotter on the top rack

Hellraiser, I have a guru hooked up.

Qhoang, Ill see what the top shelf vs bottom shelf temp like. I like that idea.

Back