To Soak or Not Soak

My BBQ neighbor and I agree on everything; politics, beer, wine as well as hunting... But we argue constantly because he says yes and I say no on soaking wood. I've even pointed out the Brethern's word but he can't accept it. Please join me in prayers for him to see the light...

I keep my chips in a bucket on the side of the house if it fills up during rain so be it, I drain it and use them, if it doesn't rain no soaking.

Like many of the posts above, I used to when I has a Bandera and used charcoal or lump, because on it's face it seemed to make sense as well as the instructions on the bag of wood suggested it. After going with an O/S stick burner of course it was no longer a decision.

Now when I cook a steak on my Weber I use the reverse sear method and throw a couple of chunks of dry pecan in with the coal for that flavor.

When I used to have a gasser I bought a little cast iron rectangular box and would put chips in it. Wet ones just smoldered until they dried and then burned.

I'm of the opinion that wetting the wood is a waste of time at best and a detriment at worst to the flavor you are trying to impart on the meat.

In a nut shell, no I don't suggest soaking the wood for any application or outdoor cooking equipment.

Mike

U can guess that people are going to screech when I put this up, but it is possible to run dampened wood (shread) & get real good results.....

I do all kinds of'Turds like this & have for years....

CraigsBDay332012005.jpg

CraigsBDay332012021.jpg

CraigsBDay332012013-1.jpg

CraigsBDay332012082.jpg

CraigsBDay332012016-1.jpg

CraigsBDay332012014.jpg

( this is a re-print from elsewhere, as I type pretty slow...)

I soak shread ( cherry or apple, usually) for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour,
then squeeze out handfuls & pack onto a screamin' brite orange coal pack....
The wood right against the coal dries & ingnites right away & then filters up thru the damp wood above,
like a hookah
or some type of water filter.....
As the succeeding wood dries & burns it continues to filter up thru the remaining wood
& as it reaches near the top, then add more wood.....
Is this a lot of extra trouble to go to ?
Not really, once I got the hang of it...
How ?
By expermenting....
Where did I hear of this?
Thought it up, as dry wood of this type will almost explode if added to a hot fire....
Does it work good ?
Dam straight !!
Produces an extremely smooth smoke flavor that's rarely bitter or overblown...
I've tried different combinations of dry wood & can't come up with anything remotely as good tasting as this....
Do I bomb out & goof it up?
Sometimes, when I'm not paying attention ~~>
The best ones ( like the 2nd photo) run @ 190° ~ 210° for up to 3 hours....
Cost of wood abt. $2.00 ~ 3.00 or a bit more....well worth it for my tastes in 'turds....

PS: I never soak anything bigger than this ( chunks, chips, splits )

Here's a little better photo at a diff. angle ~~>

KenBBQ4242011025.jpg

Bacon drippings ?

Yep ~~>

KenBBQ4242011056.jpg

At higher heat, it gets kinda crazy burning off steam......I've burned my inside forearm on the steam adding wood several times before....

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue038.jpg

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue039.jpg

This is about 90% steam...........

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue036.jpg

But the end product is fine......

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue047.jpg

just takes real live care in timing, dampening & coals that you start with.....

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue020.jpg

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue021.jpg

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue034.jpg

To each their own...................

Back