My ribs are dry????

srfoster

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
It seems every time I do ribs they turn out dry. Been using the Amazing Rib web site for temp and timing. 225 and about four hours. But turn out dry. If stop at 3 hours then not done and tough. Any help on what is causing them to be dry? Hove a Masterbuilt Pro electric smoker. The crust seems dark to me so maybe the temperature is higher than it shows. Any help is appreciated.
Steven

Are you sure they are done, probe tender with a toothpick or something similar?

So long as a toothpick slides in and out easily, they are done. At 225 deg at the grate, at 4 hours they are probably not done. On my Weber kettle, untrimmed spares take over 4 hours at 250-300 deg before I even test them.

Four hours at 225 for ribs doesn't seem long enough. Try like Madman said if you have not tried that.

My MES40 cooks hotter than set point. I only use it for sausage though....What is your process, and what temp are you trying to cook at?

If they are too dark and not done then maybe you need to wrap to get them done and keep them from getting too dark.

Classic 3-2-1 rule of smoking ribs at 225 accounts for six hours. Three hours Nekkid, two hours foiled, then one hour back on the grates. Thus, 3 or 4 hours seems short to me. Meathead Goldwyn over at amazing ribs talks about taking his ribs to 200 degrees internal temp. I break away from the purists and use a digital thermometer instead of the pull/toothpick tests. My ribs are the best they've been and I haven't looked back

I would experiment with wrapping for a while during the cook.

3-2-1 method like notorious said.
Wrap with parkay, brown sugar and apple juice and apple cider vinegar.
Pick them up with tongs and if the skin/bark starts to break they are done. Have never used a thermometer ever for ribs and they are perfect every time! Become one with the meat.

i cook stl spares 6 hours unwrapped at 225 with liquid in the pan. We could debate preference at 5-6 hours ..but no way at 3 or 4.

they are done, I have even left on for 6 hours and they are just dryer and start getting hard to bite through and

they are done, I have even left on for 6 hours and they are just dryer and start getting hard to bite through and

perhaps its the pork source? Not all meat is equal. Maybe your temperature is reading incorrectly?

Electric heat is DRY DRY DRY. Add a waterpan.

I do have a water pan. Guess I 'll have to experiment. Start 3-4 and then take one off at 5,6 and 7 hours and see the difference. IT seems the fat does not render out and thus the meat stays dry. Almost like a very overdone steak, hard and dry.

Last edited:
I do have a water pan. Guess I 'll have to experiment. Start 3-4 and then take one off at 5,6 and 7 hours and see the difference. IT seems the fat does not render out and thus the meat stays dry. Almost like a very overdone steak, hard and dry.

Problem we have trying to help you is to figure out what you are trying to do.....I'm telling you, the master built is hotter than what you are setting it to. What temp are you setting it at and?

My bad....missed the 225 for 4 hours. My experience is that the MES runs about 75 degrees hotter than set temp. That could be the issue. I smoke 2 hours then wrap for a while, usually 1.5 hours. Then open to finish

wow 75 degrees hotter would be an issue! lol

I think with electric heat there isn't any natural air flow. Just my theory though.

wow 75 degrees hotter would be an issue! lol

I think with electric heat there isn't any natural air flow. Just my theory though.

No doubt, but the only thing I use it for is sausage. I don't mess with wood chips in the tray, I use an amazn pellet tray for smoke. My normal smoking duties are handled by the Yoder which is rock solid. Just tryin to help the OP....

Back