My new Shirley

hogsbreath

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Quite a crazy weekend. Saturday I was set to drive to Tuscaloosa to get my new 24x75 cabinet model. At 7am in Cincinnati, we have 5 inches of snow and it is still coming down. Snows hard till well after Knoxville.
Finally get to Tuscaloosa and am prepping my Suburban to be my bed (it's 60 degrees, I have an air mattress and sleeping bag. I'm good) and Paul laughs at me and tells me to throw my bag in the guest room.
Paul and his wonderful wife take me to the Cypress Inn for dinner.
I get up Sunday Hook up to my cooker and head home. MUCH less eventful trip.
I get home, park it and that's good for the day.
Monday after work, Coat the chambers with oil and fire it up to het it seasoned.
Tuesday night, I have 45 pheasants to cook. We start stuffing them with apples and onions and wrapping them with bacon and cheese cloth. Turn out we have 61! Some didn't get bacon, apples and onions. Some got rub, others were just put on the racks. My understanding the organization is making 300 pheasant pot pies for a fundraising wild game dinner.
Since they were expecting 45, 3 are in my fridge (well 2 in the fridge, 1 in my belly!)
For my first time doing wild birds, I think they turned out very good!!
Paul (TuscaloosaQ) a pleasure meeting you and your family. I hope our paths cross again soon!!

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 602
  • season 1.jpg
    season 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 603
  • season 2.jpg
    season 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 604
  • pheasants 1.jpg
    pheasants 1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 601
  • pheasants 2.jpg
    pheasants 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 601
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 602
Nice to hear good news about good people!

Last edited:
Looks good, I'll be heading to Tuscaloosa sometime in April to get mine. Can't wait.

Now that's the way to break it in. That's exactly how I would configure a Shirley. Congrats!!

Very impressive cooker, congrats, how do you get 45 pheasants up in Ohio? I don't think of Ohio as a pheasant state, if you got em, good for you, we down south are much deprived in that department.

Very nice looking smoker. I'm jealous. Looks like it did a nice job in cooling all of them birds. Out of curiosity what does the cheese cloth do for the cook?

I like the 3 rack setup. Nice first cook! What is the rack spacing and height of the cabinet? Mine should be ready in June and I'm still working on the rack and cabinet configuration. Congrats!

I am so looking forward to having a chance at cooking on that masterpiece.

Gorgeous pit. Enjoy it little brother.

Awesome rig! Paul does amazing work. Best smokers on the market. Congrats!

Beautiful pit, congratulations! The cabinet door models are my favorite.
Paul, Tyler and crew build some mighty fine smokers.
Great job on the cook too, looks tasty!

Very impressive cooker, congrats, how do you get 45 pheasants up in Ohio? I don't think of Ohio as a pheasant state, if you got em, good for you, we down south are much deprived in that department.

Sneak over into South Texas as they have planted some as an experiment several years ago, and they can be hunted in some areas. You can also get in on some private hunts where they put out some pen raised pheasants for the hunters to hunt over dogs.

Also, congrats on the new cooker hogsbreath. Great looking first cook, and the pit should be well seasoned after that cook. She is a beauty and one to be very proud of. ( jealously mod taking over! :thumb: )

Omar

Back