Wscg

Smoker34

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've posted here before about temperature control on the WSCG. When I first tried smoking with it, I used the bbq guru, which I couldn't get to work at all in this unit after several tries, so I abandoned it. I had some success with traditional vent-adjusting, but I cannot generally control the temperature with any consistency. I've tried different charcoals and different methods of lighting them. My major problem is that although there are periods of stability, I spend 75% of my time trying to get the temperature up. Last night, I put two briskets on at 9:00 PM. It's now nearly 8:00 AM and I've been out there doing something to get the temps up at least 20 times, including flipping up the top vent several times (this function is usually used to attain very high grilling temps quickly). Twice, I had to disassemble the whole thing so i could stoke the coals and even add coals (I started with 4 WSCG cups of Kingsford blue). Interestingly, when I removed the diffuser plate, the coals were mostly glowing orange, yet this never seems to translate to a decent temperature on the grate. I use a Maverick 732 and I even put a second one next to it to confirm accuracy. They were always within 5 degrees of each other, although the WSCG gauge is wildly inaccurate, sometimes differing from the Mavericks by 90 degrees! Every time I have done a smoke on this grill, I notice that the coals in the back of the pit do not burn. I don't know why this is, but it is consistent. I always use a drip pan on the diffuser plate filled with water and my only thought at this point is that perhaps the diffuser plate plus the water makes heat transfer to the grate difficult. Next time, I'm going to try it without water and hope things improve. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Very frustrating!

The last 30 minutes, it maintained temp around 235, then as usual, started to plunge. This required a trip to the grill, and I had to open the top vent to nearly 100%. Multiple times, I even have to open the lower vent towards the grilling setting and it still doesn't hold a temp. This is maddening! And it's not the first time this has happened; it's rather routine now, regardless of what I do.

Sorry your having so much trouble with your Summit...

I would suggest trying lump charcoal instead of KBB, less ash and no fillers.

Sorry to hear that. Several weeks ago I was able to hold temperature at 250f for 3+ hours without much adjustment. I used regular kbb, lighted using the gas assist. I did over shoot the temperature initially due to taking care of the newborn, but I was able to lower it back and it kept at 250. No water in pan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 395
I always use a drip pan on the diffuser plate filled with water

Why? Was it in the instructions from Weber?
I don't have a WCSG, but let me take a shot.
A pan full of water takes a lot of energy to heat up. Sitting on top of the diffuser plate it might never get hot. And it takes energy to keep it hot. You're going to burn through a ton of KBB to get that water hot. It will produce so much ash it will choke your fire.
Ditch the water. The pan is OK if you want to catch drippings.
Ditch the KBB. Use an all natural briquette or lump.

after you mentioned the water pan, i immediately saw the culprit. I never have great success with water pans, mainly due to sheer amount of energy it steals from the fire to heat up the water.

I somehow missed the water pan part...

Ditch it, there is no reason for it, as stated before it takes a ton of energy to keep it hot.

You might try lump charcoal. Also, don't worry to much about maintaining exact temperatures. If you temp fluctuations are within 20-30 degrees of your target temp, it's all good. Fiddling with the vents or opening the cooker can be your worst enemy at times.

If you want to use a water pan, get it up in the cooker, where it acts and reacts like a hunk of meat. Like others have recommended, fluids/water can be more of a problem than a helper.

t

Thanks. That was what I was thinking. I'm just used to using water with my WSM's. I realize they are distinctly different cookers and hopefully this is the solution.

I smoke on my kamados and wsms with the intention of hitting between 230-320. In my experience, variation within this range matters little to the end result, unless completion timing is a factor. I take note of vent settings on each cooker and then results are rock solid. My large wsm is top vent and one bottom vent fully open with one lit chimney. It finds its own temp in the range I described and I never touch it. It's so steady I can sleep without monitoring. Same goes for my eggs. I only have issues when I chase a specific temperature instead of a range of temperatures. And like others said, ditch the water, in all cookers.

I attended a WSCG demo prior to purchasing mine and asked about a water pan and was told it is not necessary as the grill seals tight enough to keep moisture from escaping. This does seem to be the case. I have not done brisket, but had 9 racks of baby backs on for 6 hours and only had to make slight vent adjustments every 30-60 minutes to keep within a 20 degree range. Ribs were nice and moist.

Cook thread is here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231090

Last edited:
I've always hesitated not using water in my WSM's because during long smokes, whenever I've seen a temperature spike, it's due to the water running out. I quickly refill it and it goes smoothly.

I've posted here before about temperature control on the WSCG. When I first tried smoking with it, I used the bbq guru, which I couldn't get to work at all in this unit after several tries, so I abandoned it. I had some success with traditional vent-adjusting, but I cannot generally control the temperature with any consistency. I've tried different charcoals and different methods of lighting them. My major problem is that although there are periods of stability, I spend 75% of my time trying to get the temperature up. Last night, I put two briskets on at 9:00 PM. It's now nearly 8:00 AM and I've been out there doing something to get the temps up at least 20 times, including flipping up the top vent several times (this function is usually used to attain very high grilling temps quickly). Twice, I had to disassemble the whole thing so i could stoke the coals and even add coals (I started with 4 WSCG cups of Kingsford blue). Interestingly, when I removed the diffuser plate, the coals were mostly glowing orange, yet this never seems to translate to a decent temperature on the grate. I use a Maverick 732 and I even put a second one next to it to confirm accuracy. They were always within 5 degrees of each other, although the WSCG gauge is wildly inaccurate, sometimes differing from the Mavericks by 90 degrees! Every time I have done a smoke on this grill, I notice that the coals in the back of the pit do not burn. I don't know why this is, but it is consistent. I always use a drip pan on the diffuser plate filled with water and my only thought at this point is that perhaps the diffuser plate plus the water makes heat transfer to the grate difficult. Next time, I'm going to try it without water and hope things improve. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Very frustrating!

I have quit using water in the water pan. I have filled the pans with sand or pea gravel and wrapped in foil. Even though temp control hasnt been a problem on the WSM, it does seem like I get better bark on my meat.

I am new to the WCS...... But coming from a XL BGE I never tried to use water. I use a pan to catch the dripping but never water. I had a little trouble at first. But, what I did find out is you need patience with this grill. Unlike the BGE it does take some time to settle in. But once it does it is rock solid. I have held mine at 230 for 15 hours.... Never had to adjust once I figured it out. And like I said it takes a long time to settle in for some reason.

I'll make you a deal for a Kamado Big Joe.

Good luck on getting it figured out but I think you got some good advice on ditvhing the water.

Back