First BB on Weber Kettle... Sanity check and a couple?s please

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Gonna try my first Boston Butt on the Weber kettle tomorrow. My plan is as follows, please sanity check it for me.

Snake method with drip pan under meat in center ~250 on my cheap lid mounted thermo. (Figure that's putting me somewhere between 225 - 275)

Cook until probe tender, will start probing about 190 IT. May foil if bark starts getting heavier than I want.

Questions I have (Other than is my plan OK) are:
1. For those of you who inject, what do you inject with and when?

2. How long before the cook do you rub?

Any advice you guys can give will help, I read most of the threads I could find but none addressed those two questions...

VR,
Harold

I rub my meat the night before.
When I get up I take it out, make some coffee and go light my fire.... while the meat warms up.

I cook till the bone wiggles. Some folks don't wrap.

Since your using a pan to collect drippings you may not even need to foil.

If your bark gets to dark go ahead and wrap it up!

I rub usually before I start my fire. Let it sit on the counter while I lay & start the fire.

I did one like you're describing a few weeks ago. Didn't bother to probe it for tenderness, cooked it about 6 hours at 225, wrapped it in foil, then put it back on for another hour. When I grabbed it to take it off the grill, it was like grabbing a package of jelly. Let it rest on the counter for about 45 minutes & shredded it. Best one so far. My wife's asking for a repeat.

260~275f might be an OK heat to run.....figure out what's actually happening
at Meat Level (<<< Technical Term) by using an oven therm next to the meat....

You can then get the difference between that & the lid & go by the lid if you'd like, but the lid ones are all different & are usually reading higher by quite a bit if they're accurate.....

EXP: 250, lid might = 200 or 210 on the grate.....

This is one of the most common foul balls i see using kettles.....trusting therms, esp. the lid one.....

Jan29Danaedad047.jpg

Some people use reduced salt Lilly injection, I've tried fruit juices mixed with the dissolved rub & various other goofy things & usually just don't inject nowadays......

Wrap if you want for color......I've wrapped one pork butt while cooking, in my lifetime........holding, yes, during cooking almost never, but if you want a certain bark color that's a way to go.....

You could use your drip pan to a possibly better advantage by loading it with beans 'n' stuff....

RebellionDogs6-21-13006-1.jpg

Hold space with a pan until it's halfway thru, then stick some beans in to smoke & juice....

RebellionDogs6-21-13016.jpg

Couner-clockwise for pork ^^^^^^^
3-31-2013Porkampbeans031.jpg

RebellionDogs6-21-13011-1.jpg

Rub when you'd like.....if it's salty, then overnite might make the taste & texture weird..........

260~275f might be an OK heat to run.....figure out what's actually happening
at Meat Level (<<< Technical Term) by using an oven therm next to the meat....

You can then get the difference between that & the lid & go by the lid if you'd like, but the lid ones are all different & are usually reading higher by quite a bit if they're accurate.....

EXP: 250, lid might = 200 or 210 on the grate.....

This is one of the most common foul balls i see using kettles.....trusting therms, esp. the lid one.....

Jan29Danaedad047.jpg

Some people use reduced salt Lilly injection, I've tried fruit juices mixed with the dissolved rub & various other goofy things & usually just don't inject nowadays......

Wrap if you want for color......I've wrapped one pork butt while cooking, in my lifetime........holding, yes, during cooking almost never, but if you want a certain bark color that's a way to go.....

You could use your drip pan to a possibly better advantage by loading it with beans 'n' stuff....

RebellionDogs6-21-13006-1.jpg

Hold space with a pan until it's halfway thru, then stick some beans in to smoke & juice....

RebellionDogs6-21-13016.jpg

Couner-clockwise for pork ^^^^^^^
3-31-2013Porkampbeans031.jpg

RebellionDogs6-21-13011-1.jpg

Rub when you'd like.....if it's salty, then overnite might make the taste & texture weird..........
Thanks Guys.
I'm liking the beans in the drip pan idea. Do you just used canned baked beans? Also do you just dump them in the drippings, or pour some off?

VR,
Harold

Look back up at the second pic....the pan on the left is the dripper.....just prepare the bean pan & set it right in on top or pour out the drip if it's very much......
The drip only will get kinda sizzled & burnt a little maybe, so not quite tasty enough to add in.....plus, it's more fatty at the start....the second half of the cook drops nicer juice....
Two reasons to only do them for half the time.....because they'll get too cooked & mushy & because those buggers drip A BUNCH & it'll overflow by the time you let a whole cook's worth of drip, drop.....

MemorialsJuly2012027-1.jpg

Here's a quick & simple mix:

Bush's canned, maybe a lesser amount of baby black beans, big back & forth shake of granulated garlic, onion bits, sweet pepper bits (I don't like green bells for this as they overpower or don't quite fit somehow), BIG dollop of honey & some cooked pork-type meat pieces if you have some around......sausage, bacon, ham, cooked......

3-31-2013Porkampbeans017.jpg

3-31-2013Porkampbeans019.jpg

3-31-2013Porkampbeans024.jpg

The smoke adds a whole 'nuther dimension to the deal.....

3-31-2013Porkampbeans036.jpg

Wampus beans rock also......more items included, but really great taste.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109907

Look back up at the second pic....the pan on the left is the dripper.....just prepare the bean pan & set it right in on top or pour out the drip if it's very much......
The drip only will get kinda sizzled & burnt a little maybe, so not quite tasty enough to add in.....plus, it's more fatty at the start....the second half of the cook drops nicer juice....
Two reasons to only do them for half the time.....because they'll get too cooked & mushy & because those buggers drip A BUNCH & it'll overflow by the time you let a whole cook's worth of drip, drop.....

MemorialsJuly2012027-1.jpg

Here's a quick & simple mix:

Bush's canned, maybe a lesser amount of baby black beans, big back & forth shake of granulated garlic, onion bits, sweet pepper bits (I don't like green bells for this as they overpower or don't quite fit somehow), BIG dollop of honey & some cooked pork-type meat pieces if you have some around......sausage, bacon, ham, cooked......

3-31-2013Porkampbeans017.jpg

3-31-2013Porkampbeans019.jpg

3-31-2013Porkampbeans024.jpg

The smoke adds a whole 'nuther dimension to the deal.....

3-31-2013Porkampbeans036.jpg

Wampus beans rock also......more items included, but really great taste.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109907

Ok,ok... I gotcha. Definitely doin' it...

VR,
Harold

Counter clockwise for pork??? Does it make a difference? Maybe that is what is wrong with my butts?

Omar

Yeah, I accidentally ran one clockwise a few months ago.....don't know what I was thinking (probably not much, I guess) & it came out weird, a little dry, hard bark & just all-around not quite right......only thing I can think (there's that thinking problem again !!!) is incorrect direction.....clockwise is for beef......all other meats, cook's choice, alternate each setup & south of the Equator, reverse is true....so like in OZ (Australia), clockwise for pork........................:wink:

Thanks Guys. Starting here in a few minutes. Gonna have one more cup of wake-me-up, then rub, inject and get the grill ready. Pics will be coming unless company shows up and I get distracted.

Wish me luck.

VR,
Harold

OK... Finally got the fire stabilized and got the damn thing on...

Rubbed with my homemade rub:

Injected with a mixture of 1 pint apple juice and one shot of Yukon Jack Jackapple whiskey:

The set up and on she goes:

More to follow... I hope...

VR,
Harold

Adding these in place of the drip pan and probably wrapping @ 4 hrs... Gonna poke a bunch of holes in the foil for drippings to escape to the bean pan if I do...

VR,
Harold

Back