WSM smoked turkey without brine?

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I was going to fry my bird tomorrow however they are calling for rain so I was thinking about smoking it instead. I have a minimally processed perdue 19 lb bird unbrined! I dont want it to be dry thus the reason we always brine a couple days before. I need some suggestions to rub or inject? Also temp and cooking time? Thanks in advance. Vince

Wow! A blast from the past :-D :-D :-D

You could inject it with turkey or chicken stock, or something like Scottie's Creole Butter.

As far as temp, I prefer to cook turkey at 325 or hotter. At that temp you're probably looking at 15-20 minutes per pound, but that's a guess.

Will a 19 lb. bird fit into a 18.5" WSM?

Brine that effer overnight.

A 19# bird will not fit under the lid on the top rack of an 18.5 WSM so you will need to use the lower rack. No water pan. HOT!

Yeah Ron its been a while. The smoker and its operator are a little rusty! Food4thot I considered using the lower rack. I was going to do a test fit for the upper rack while it was still in the package in the am. Thinking about doing one of Tony T's injections. Ive used them in the past and they were decent. Lower rack and no water pan? Almost seems like the bird will need some kind of deflector.

Yeah Ron its been a while. The smoker and its operator are a little rusty! Food4thot I considered using the lower rack. I was going to do a test fit for the upper rack while it was still in the package in the am. Thinking about doing one of Tony T's injections. Ive used them in the past and they were decent. Lower rack and no water pan? Almost seems like the bird will need some kind of deflector.
You may be right. Never did birds on the lower rack without the pan. They come out perfectly on the top rack without.

Give the bird a good back crack and check to see if it will fit under the lid on the top rack. If it doesn't, use the lower rack and keep the heat lower

Back