A disability cook....

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So last Friday I had a laparoscopic hernia repair. Not a fun thing to do just before the Memorial weekend but it had to be done. No smoking last weekend and none for the next month; limited to lifting no more than 10 pounds! I knew I couldn't hold out that long so my better half said she'd help with the Big Joe (that lid is heavy!) so I pulled a shoulder out of the freezer Monday to thaw for either Wednesday or Friday. Silly me, thinking a 10.68 pound frozen hunk of meat would thaw in two days.

Anyway by last night it was thawed so, since I cannot work until Monday, today's the day!

Emptied (very carefully) the ashpan last night and loaded the Firebox with a fresh load, a few chunks at a time. Buried some mesquite and hickory chunks in the lump, then topped it off and lit it about 8:45 am.

Rubbed the shoulder with Bad Byron's Butt rub and back in the fridge. Pit got to 225 so I added more mesquite and hickory chunks on the top, put in the deflector and grill and honey closed her up.

9:40 am and the pit is 250. My honey carried the meat out and put it on the grill! This is at the 3 1/2 hour mark.

C1991838-B369-4BD9-948E-DBFA7233080C_zps0vs7rj9d.jpg

Rocked along at 284-307 for a few hours. Temp spiked to 320, but that was probably one of the buried wood chunks lighting up!

At 162 IT I put it in a pan with some apple juice and a little honey.

After 8 hours and the temp holding steady at 288 and the IT locked in At 187 I probed several places. Everywhere except one spot was smooth as silk!

Jumped the temp up to 315 and at 9 hours with an IT of 192, the bone didn't wiggle but everything was pretty probe tender. Off and resting...

24B1BB6E-F234-43CF-8618-E9743A2E6207_zpsvzi3qt59.jpg

Meanwhile, since I'm trying to eat healthy, Brussel sprouts, yellow squash and asparagus tossed with garlic infused olive oil and hit with a grind of smoked garlic (noticing a theme here) and sea salt goes on the grill while the rest takes place.

D8C56073-D000-400D-BEA9-7265BFA86A23_zpsss6xzpb0.jpg

Pulled a little pork to throw in the sprouts and squash for some flava!

4d667ca05aa88d4c0b4d47909cc20696_zps54xm7uvx.jpg

Pulled and plated....

0ccb13221e917e6e88e3b76ac0a1da6b_zpsdrkmojmu.jpg

ec177c61672cc9eaa500ef632cb7a09f_zpsbpifdsv9.jpg

3feac90dbe616fd2629c815210a4a79e_zpsajme9ssm.jpg

All in all not bad for my first pulled pork! I couldn't have done it without my baby lifting that grill dome, rassalling that shoulder on the grill and all around doing what I couldn't.

At the 9 hour mark she was ready for some pulled pork. I told her I thought we needed to wait till the bone wiggled, but she said "the bone doesn't have to always wiggle for it to be good" and she was right!

The small end was showing but the blade end was buried.s no wonder it didn't move!

1ba2aeb1883574b3175dfde55d9b93d7_zpsqgwg8ukw.jpg

Since I had to be somewhat docile today, this was a good way to spend the day! I did do some physical therapy....12 oz curls!:clap2:

Looks great. Get back to 100% soon!

I would eat a whole bowl of those veges! That is one thing my parents never had a problem getting me to eat. Mighty fine looking grub you have there. I hope you heal quickly!

I'm excited about the honey you added with the apple juice when you panned it! That sounds amazing!

Can you elaborate on the honey part? On the shoulder or just in the pan?

Looks good and I'm not a vegetable eater but might have to give that a try.

Joe

I just drizzled a little honey to the apple juice I poured in the pan, then put the shoulder in the pan, wrapped it in foil and back on the grill. Came out great.

Hope you're feeling better soon. That's a good looking cook. Great tip on the veggies. Keep it coming and good luck, Joe

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm definitely going to take it slow and heal up.

Gonna vacuum seal the pulled pork for future use. Did enjoy a really good pp Sammich for lunch!

I read somewhere that I should add a tablespoon of apple juice or the juice from the cook yesterday so I'll try that.

That meal should help you feel better. Looks great.

i599g9.jpg

That meal looked spectcular. Eating healthy is good.

Looks like you and the pitmaster did a great job! Get well soon...

Back