Not Q - Don't Purge Your Crawfish...

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been arguing this for years... just wash'em good.

Per the LSU AgCenter

In conclusion, preparing crawfish for cooking by immersion in a water bath, with or without salt, for a short time will often provide some degree of cleansing, although this is mainly associated with exterior surfaces and the gill cavity where debris can accumulate. The amount of digesta in cooked crawfish subjected to an adequate wash may not be discernible from nonwashed crawfish; however, washing will lessen the amount of debris shed during the cooking process. There is no evidence from this study that suggests the use of salt in cleansing crawfish was beneficial, but results do indicate that a saltwater bath may contribute to increased mortality, if washed crawfish are subjected to refrigerated storage for several days prior to cooking. Conventional commercial style purging for 12 hours or longer is the only known way to significantly reduce the size of the hindgut in cooked crawfish, and that method is usually not practical for consumers.

I read the article a couple of days ago. That's been my experience. Salt 'em, kill 'em.

Good resource. We need more live crawfish to make it to the boil pot! Can't wait until my local s pot is back at it again soon

Soooo eat em gritty or shi..y? Cookers choice. Bahaaahaa.:twitch:

The digestive "vein" will pull out when properly handled.

After removing the head, wiggle the tail side to side
to break it off from the shell and gently pull the vein out.
Then you can bite on the larger end and pull the meat out
with your teeth.

This is my story and I'm stickin' to it. :cool:

One of my favorite uses of crawfish was this boudin that Mike (Happy Hapgood) brought to a Texas bash. So farking good.

Embarrassed to admit that I've never been to a crawfish boil.

One of our resellers here in MS hasn't stocked any yet, say they are too high. Guess the LA boys charge too much freight?

Back