The CyberQ upgrade- Old vs New

propellerhead

Reaction score
I spent some time reflecting on the trials and tribulations of my CyberQ adventure. If you've not read that thread, it might explain more of the foundation with which I arrive and posting this one.

Because it is part of the thing I do every now and then, I decided to take a look recently into whether or not the BBQ Guru's had some new firmware. I had not upgraded anything since 1.7. I purchased my CyberQ around 3/4 years ago.

Well, what's this? 2.3? 3.1? Reading more deeply into the upgrade instructions, I discovered my legacy unit could not be upgraded. This is what you get for being the early bird: Wormed. But in one of the instructions, the offer is made to contact BBQGuru for upgrade options. Well, OK.. Let's see what that does for us... Nothing. Well, not for a week or so. When I replied to all that I was still looking for an answer, I received a very quick response. No worries. I've lost track a number of times. It happens.

We arranged an RMA and I sent my CyberQ in the same day. It was part of the plan wherein they would decide on their own if your CyberQ could be upgraded. That's the best I can come up with. The worst I can come up with is that they make the customer send in his own CyberQ to confirm that he has one in the first place. I couldn't blame them for doing this, but if it is why they do it.. Just say so. (It's probably not why they do it)

Some emails later, we arrived at the price I'll share here. I can't imagine that it's top secret. My unit- as above- could not be upgraded beyond 1.7. They made two offers: 1) replace guts of my unit with new guts of 2.3/3.1. Cost: $85. 2) Send me a new unit and my old one back as well. Cost: $110. Being the geek I am, I figured I could do a great side x side of the old vs the new CyberQ's. So I just had to spend the $25 and go for the whole new unit. They showed up yesterday. But what's this?

I'd asked for one of the cool American Flag units for the new one. What showed up was the same as my old one. This is not a huge deal to me, but I thought I'd mention it because I really do like the new american flag look on the CyberQ. By now, I wasn't surprised at all to get a quick email back apologizing for the oversight. They issued me a UPS return label for the new unit they'd sent and they were sending me the one I asked for. I know this is what we should expect, but I suppose I was really OK with either answer. But I was impressed enough to note the effort here.

Of course I had gone through the setup on the unit they sent. But I didn't really do anything with it. I noted some things, but I will take this thread to review the new unit with 3.1 firmware. I'd also like to reflect on the different experiences between the two. I wont have cooking experience on the newer one for some time. That will have to evolve as part of the long term use review.

More to come!

+1

I'm still on v1.3 :-D If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. Haven't really had any issues and works as advertised the 6 times or so I've used lol. Bought mine July 4th, 2013.

I'm def tuned in thought. :thumb:

Mine is about the same age as yours, so I suspect that I am in the same boat. I'm looking forward to the rest of your thoughts on the new vs. old.

I have two, the first since May 2012. I don't see any glaring software changes in the manuals, but I'm sure that there are some hardware updates besides the 802.11G in my second unit from two years ago.
I'm going to go for it, too. Thanks for letting us know.

Back