State of Brisket

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be paying $4.25lb for brisket going into the 2015 barbecue season. Figuring a 45% yield I'll have $9.44 per lb cost in brisket. I can currently buy whole ribeyes for $10.10 lb. If brisket goes any higher I might have to start selling ribeye sandwiches instead LOL

Ouch! Im paying $3.80 right now and thankfully average 52% yeild. ;)

Local Q joints around here are still selling brisket but are slowly incorporating pulled pork when before they didn't even have it on the menu. I've talked with some that they did that because brisket prices started rising and the sale of their brisket starting going down. So they compensated with introducing pulled pork.

Several around here are doing chuck rolls, and calling it a "pour man's" Brisket.
I cooked one up the other day, doing it the same way I did brisket. Even foiled and added some juice. Turned out amazing. everyone said it tasted real similar to brisket.

If you are on facebook, search my page, I posted an article about Brisket.
It turns out Arby's serving brisket did not help the prices. Arby's is now taking about 5% of the brisket market....

yep

What amazes me is that people who ask for a brisket to be smoked and then hears what we need to charge, get all upset. They just aren't understanding that isn't us trying to gouge them on the price. We are just trying to make a profit and not even a big one either. Some actually want us to pretty much sell it at our cost.

Lots of folks have no idea what happens to a brisket as it cooks, about the fact that a 50% yield is really not at all bad, when you consider trimming loss, cooking loss and cut-off that you can't sell. They think that they see it for $4 or $5 a pound at the store and it should cost just about that from a BBQ place. When $12 to $15 is probably more realistic.

Back