Burning/Smoking/BBQing ANYTHING inside the garage -- Bad Idea!

SuburbSlicker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm probably going to offend someone here today, but I'd rather do that than have to sweep up the ashes that was once someone's house, or pet, or worse.

Twice in the past two weeks I've smacked my head over fellow Brethren who've reported on here that they were grilling/smoking inside the garage of their homes. One brother almost lost his garage/home when his brisky fat got too hot in a WSM. :doh:

I was a volunteer firefighter in Virginia for more than a decade before my health took me off the engine company, but in more than ten years, I know I had to put my arse on the line at least three times because some numbskull decided to light a fire in his garage. Two I was able to help put a stop to before the fire took the house. On the third, the home suffered pretty extensive damage. Thankfully, in all three cases, no one was injured.

Brethren, we all know, or should know, that fires are dangerous (unless you've some some fancy electric thing with teeny little wood pellets and if that's the case, there's probably some other thread here for you :loco:)

Fires are not the only thing which can cause catastrophic destruction to a building. It's not the fire that kills you -- it's the smoke. And it's not the pure blue smoke of a good wood fire, it's the nasty, gutting smoke of your burning carpets and insulation and plastics and other volatile chemicals in all of our homes.

The carbon monoxide from a fire in which combustion isn't 100% is enough to kill you by itself. And in most BBQ fires, there's enough CO to kill an entire family if the fire isn't fully vented -- that means outside. Inside the house with the garage door open because it's windy/rainy/snowy/cold isn't proper venting. It's a recipe for disaster.

If you're worried about the elements, buy a Soccer Mom canopy at your local sporting goods store for $69 to keep the rain off, or buy a crock pot, or buy an umbrella and a warm coat. Throughout these forums fellow Brethren have worked out all kinds of ingenious mods to their smokers and grills to maintain heat, block wind, keep the rain off and so on. All of them are shared with you to keep you safe and to keep fire where it should be -- outside. Try those out. But unless it's a properly vented fireplace or wood stove (and make sure chimneys get cleaned too, all) keep the fire and the grill/smoker outside and keep your family safe!

We want you all around and cooking and sharing your brisky tips for a long time.

Thankyou Bro!! PREACH IT!!! I got a few war stories too getting to old to tote a hose and ring the bell sucks.

Fireman's Creed

When I'm called to duty God,
Wherever flames may rage,
Give me strength to save a life,
Whatever be it's age.
Help me to embrace a little child,
Before it is too late.
Or save an older person from,
The horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert,
To hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently,
To put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and,
To give the best in me,
To guard my neighbor and,
Protect his property.
And if according to your will,
I have to lose my life,
Bless with your protecting hand,
My children and my wife.

I'm probably going to offend someone here today, but I'd rather do that than have to sweep up the ashes that was once someone's house, or pet, or worse.

Twice in the past two weeks I've smacked my head over fellow Brethren who've reported on here that they were grilling/smoking inside the garage of their homes. One brother almost lost his garage/home when his brisky fat got too hot in a WSM. :doh:

I was a volunteer firefighter in Virginia for more than a decade before my health took me off the engine company, but in more than ten years, I know I had to put my arse on the line at least three times because some numbskull decided to light a fire in his garage. Two I was able to help put a stop to before the fire took the house. On the third, the home suffered pretty extensive damage. Thankfully, in all three cases, no one was injured.

Brethren, we all know, or should know, that fires are dangerous (unless you've some some fancy electric thing with teeny little wood pellets and if that's the case, there's probably some other thread here for you :loco:)

Fires are not the only thing which can cause catastrophic destruction to a building. It's not the fire that kills you -- it's the smoke. And it's not the pure blue smoke of a good wood fire, it's the nasty, gutting smoke of your burning carpets and insulation and plastics and other volatile chemicals in all of our homes.

The carbon monoxide from a fire in which combustion isn't 100% is enough to kill you by itself. And in most BBQ fires, there's enough CO to kill an entire family if the fire isn't fully vented -- that means outside. Inside the house with the garage door open because it's windy/rainy/snowy/cold isn't proper venting. It's a recipe for disaster.

If you're worried about the elements, buy a Soccer Mom canopy at your local sporting goods store for $69 to keep the rain off, or buy a crock pot, or buy an umbrella and a warm coat. Throughout these forums fellow Brethren have worked out all kinds of ingenious mods to their smokers and grills to maintain heat, block wind, keep the rain off and so on. All of them are shared with you to keep you safe and to keep fire where it should be -- outside. Try those out. But unless it's a properly vented fireplace or wood stove (and make sure chimneys get cleaned too, all) keep the fire and the grill/smoker outside and keep your family safe!

We want you all around and cooking and sharing your brisky tips for a long time.

From 1972 to 1998 I rode the front seat of engines, ladder trucks, tankers and ambulances for a living.

I have not mentioned how many fire victims I have personally bagged up. My last time was 4 children and 3 adults. That stays in your head forever.

Brother you nailed it!!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I'm offended that you called my Ez-Up a "soccer mom canopy"

:becky:

I've also shaken my head in either dismay or amazement when I read about someone grilling or smoking in the garage. Well said and a timely reminder for all of us!

Great post.

Went to OK State for Fire Protection and Safety Engineering. Keep your fires away from your stuff.

Also, if you have small children make sure that they AND THEIR SMALL FRIENDS know that the cookers are always assumed to be hot and they are not to be played around.

This should be stickied. Just saying it may seem simple but a lot people just don't think. Although the knock on pellets low blow man. I love my pellet grill. I don't think I would ever want to put my pellet grill in the garage while cooking.

Don't forget about the guys that store their cookers in the garage. The fire must be completely out or carbon monoxide will get you. If the embers gets any air it can ignite anything close that's flammable.

Also, if you have small children make sure that they AND THEIR SMALL FRIENDS know that the cookers are always assumed to be hot and they are not to be played around.

Every time my 2 year old granddaughter walks by a cooker, she points and says, "Hot!" My 5 yo grandson always assumes they're hot, but usually asks anyway.

Matt

BBQ grills and smokers are outside toys. I don't see any benefit that is even vaguely worth the risk of running one of those in a house or garage.

And on the same subject, a fire extinguisher should always be close by. It should be CHARGED and HANDY.

This is very important and something that I go out of my way to explain to every child visiting. I even preach it to my own kids every time I cook. I also isolate my grills and smokers in the corner of our side patio and block off easy access to them with lawn chairs and garbage pails.
And on the same subject, a fire extinguisher should always be close by. It should be CHARGED and HANDY.
Absolutely an extinguisher is worthless if it has lost it's charge. It is something that a lot of people over look and find out the hard way after it's too late. I keep one five feet from my cookers and we have one in the kitchen and another on the other side of the house. They are cheap insurance that can save lives and personal property.

I only fry turkeys in the garage no smoking zone... :shock:

I didn't know this forum had so many hose-draggers in it ... but none the less, good advice for sure.

I've been on the local dept for 7 years. I've seen more than a few summer tourists grilling in the garage because it was raining outside. They just had to use the grill so what better place that inside their house...

I find taking a 3 point line shot with the frozen turkey at the hot oil is usually safest....thats indeed a joke.

I got my "soccer mom canopy" at HFT for like...40 or 50 bucks. I've had it for 3 years and use it exclusively to protect from rain, not sun, and it's still holding up well. I always dry it before I store it and it's been well worth over $50 to me. Just used it 2 weeks ago on a cook to stay dry.

Back