Oversized Brisket

jesseQ

Reaction score
Hello Brethren, my butcher kind of goofed up and instead of the 11-12lb briskets I normally get he's hoisted onto me a 20lb'er (at cost to soften the blow). This bad boy won't even fit on my small smoker in its present state. I've got some heavy trimming/butchering to do.

My question: can I cut off a good hunk of the flat and save it for another time? Is there a technique I can use to cut this brisket down to say the 14-15lb range? Or even smaller? Has anyone ever attempted such a trick?

I'm overnighting this for Thanksgiving and I am now very concerned about timing. I won't be able to start the cook until about 10pm earliest and it's got to be done by noon next day. I'm packing it up for a 45 minutes drive.

I suppose I could do a hot and fast but I've never attempted one of those and don't really want to start with such an important cook.

Thanks for all your great advice in advance.

Might be a stupid question but, why couldn't you just cut it lengthwise right down the middle and have 2 10 lb pieces? You would have flat and point to smoke and could freeze the other side.

I would trim down fat. You can get alot of raw weight off just by getting the fat side down to pencil thick, and removing that hard fat knuckle off the deckle. If you have any really thin edges on that flat,.. trim them off,.. Square that bad boy up a little. By the time your done you might be lookin at a 14 #. Your time table seems tight. If you can actually start the cook,... not just light the fire,.. but actually have the pit at temp. and throw her on at 10,.. maybe. Go hotter. 250-275, Use the Texas crutch. It might be done in time. I would NOT seperate a perfectly good brisket. But maybe that's just me.

I'd cut the end of the flat off and corn it for corned beef and cook the rest together. You'll get some point and flat for people who like either, and still have the deckle to help keep the whole works moist/juicy.

I'd cut the end of the flat off and corn it for corned beef and cook the rest together. You'll get some point and flat for people who like either, and still have the deckle to help keep the whole works moist/juicy.
That sounds like a reasonable approach, whether making corned beef with the flat or not...

I would trim down fat. You can get alot of raw weight off just by getting the fat side down to pencil thick, and removing that hard fat knuckle off the deckle. If you have any really thin edges on that flat,.. trim them off,.. Square that bad boy up a little. By the time your done you might be lookin at a 14 #. Your time table seems tight. If you can actually start the cook,... not just light the fire,.. but actually have the pit at temp. and throw her on at 10,.. maybe. Go hotter. 250-275, Use the Texas crutch. It might be done in time. I would NOT seperate a perfectly good brisket. But maybe that's just me.

...this is what I was leaning toward; a heavy trim. I'm going to cook a little hot too. Usually I do 225, I'll go 250-260 this time.

I was excited about the cook before all this but now I'm really stoked:)

...this was my first thought, cut some of the flat off. Great idea about the corned beef.

I'm not sure cutting off the end of the flat will reduce your time. The end of the flat is the thinnest and gets done the quickest. If you want to reduce cook time you need to reduce thickness not length. You have 2 options, separate the point and the flat so the thick part where the point and flat are overlapping is eliminated, or option 2 would be to heavily trim the fat seam that connects the point and flat so the brisket lays flatter and cook uniform. The hard fat between the point and flat will not render and increases cook time if left intact.

I'm not sure cutting off the end of the flat will reduce your time. The end of the flat is the thinnest and gets done the quickest. If you want to reduce cook time you need to reduce thickness not length. You have 2 options, separate the point and the flat so the thick part where the point and flat are overlapping is eliminated, or option 2 would be to heavily trim the fat seam that connects the point and flat so the brisket lays flatter and cook uniform. The hard fat between the point and flat will not render and increases cook time if left intact.

... I like your suggestion to heavily trim the fat seam so it lays flatter and cooks uniform. I'm going to try that. As it stands now, the brisket is insanely thick at the point.

Perhaps it's been asked, but what kind of smoker do you have?
I'm guessing it's a smaller diameter, maybe a water smoker like a WSM or ECB?

If that's the case, you COULD just fold that thing in half, even tie it up and cook it.
OR, you could also just cut it in half and cook both now or freeze one part for later.
Cutting the point off it also a good idea, but then you'd miss out on eating the point (which is personally my favorite part), but taking the point off will definitely shorten it.

As far as timing....just crank up the temp to shorten cook time.
Bumping up temp won't hurt a thing!
It's nothing to do a brisket in 6 or 8 hours at 300.
Even 275 will still shorten your cook time a good bit.

Good luck!

What smoker are you using?

... this, hence my panic. The packer is 21" long and I need to get it down to 16-18" depending on if I can crown it or not. It's thick and I may not have enough headroom.

This little guy cooks a great 10-12lb'er but I may be asking too much on this one. We'll soon find out, lol.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 06, 12 24 34.jpg
    Photo Sep 06, 12 24 34.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo Sep 06, 12 15 57.jpg
    Photo Sep 06, 12 15 57.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 54
...I would NOT seperate a perfectly good brisket. But maybe that's just me.
I cook my briskets this way all of the time, and have for a long time. It turns out a fantastic product with even bark on the entire point and flat. This makes the best "burnt ends" I've ever had. There is nothing wrong with separating and seasoning pre-cook.

Back