epic bbq failure

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well guys, I had a rough memorial day cook. It started fairly ok, I had a little trouble with my lonestargrillz vertical cabinet taking a little long to get to temperature, but I finally got it and got my briskets and some wings on around 45 minutes late. Next went to prep some ribs. I was going to do 5 racks of spares. I opened the 1st 3 and they were rotten. I debated on if it was just a smell that would go away or rotten. Should have trusted my gut and thrown them away from the beginning. I ended up taking them back and getting my money back. I then only had 2 racks of ribs. The rest of the smoke went fairly well except the butcher paper I bought sucked and just shredded. I ditched it and went to plan b. The ribs turned out well, but I wasn't real happy with my briskets. I even was cooking 2 for some coworkers. Anyway, this is when the fit hits the shan. I was slicing up the last brisket and look out the window at my 3 month old lonestargrillz vertical cabinet and their is a huge grease fire with flames bellowing out of it. The flames burned up the pop up tent I was using to keep the freaking rain off of it, since it has been raining here for over a month straight and singed all the hair off my arms as I shut the door to it. Took hours to get the fire out enough to pull the charcoal basket out to let it start cooling down. The temperature gauge was over the 500 degrees on it and it bubbled up the paint right around the gasket on the top right corner. I am hoping this is all that is wrong with it. I don't think the insulation or anything else got messed up. Man, that was a sickening feeling watching your new smoker on fire. Lesson learned, make sure you shut the door.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Yes always close the Door. I bet it survived fine just needs a scrubbing and a re- season.

I feel the pain and it's not even my cooker. I'm sure it'll clean right up. Good news is that chics dig scarred cookers:becky:

Every great pitmaster has at least one epic failure. Hard to do now, but chalk it up as an experience and don't let it shake your confidence. Better days to come.

Sorry to hear it but understand. I had a grease fire this weekend too. Clean the mess, learn from it and live to cook another day:)

I spent the last 3 hours cleaning it up and oiling everything down again. I still have to clean up the water pan as well. It is supposed to rain for the next week again, so not sure when I will get to finish the clean up.

Was there water in the water pan when you had the grease fire or just the grease dripping into the pan?

Chit happens man. What can you do but move on. We all have our bad days. It happens. I have set fire to my 14.5" WSM because I couldn't understand the chitty directions until I read it in Spanish after I had a grease fire. It stunk to high heaven. Turns out the directions set the water pan in there but it doesn't say on clips just above the charcoal ring I set it on it and the charcoal burned down and tipped the grease into the fire. Flames out the top and bottom vents and it was my kids birthday. I got it out by shutting all the vents. I had to clean it which took hours and re seasoned it. Wound up making it the unit I compete on. I haven't done to bad this year. Best was a 7th place call in ribs. It was awesome. We recovered and so will you.
It wasn't as costly of a mistake but this should make you laugh your arse off. Ok so it was my dating anniversary with my wife. I wanted to show off as I had my first weber kettle grill. I cooked leg of lamb. It was costly too. Well I got it all done up like the weber book said and anyways being our anniversary married people doing what married people do. I was busy enjoying marriage perks. So I forgot about the lamb and forgot to sweep ash so the fire died. I flipped my lid and was so peeved. I tried to eat a bite flipped and said it was disqusting. I was even crazier and blinded by pure anger at myself. I nuked that sucker in the microwave tried to eat it again yep again. Got mad slammed it in the trash. My wife told our friends who made up a holiday. They now wish me Happy Leg of Lamb Day! Every June 15. I will never live it down and it will follow me until I die. Two things have not happened since. I no longer am allowed to enjoy the perks of married life while cooking and I have not tried leg of lamb since then. I am thinking of giving it a go again on our anniversary but I haven't tried it since. My point is at least there is not going to be a holiday named for your disaster. Mine though because I ate it and then nuked it and tried to eat it again it will live forever in bbq epic failure history as my failure created a holiday. Now if only we could get a free day off from work for it. You will live and you will recover and no one will remember but you. Unless you nuke leg of lamb and try to eat it you have nothing to worry about.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Yes always close the Door. I bet it survived fine just needs a scrubbing and a re- season.

I feel the pain and it's not even my cooker. I'm sure it'll clean right up. Good news is that chics dig scarred cookers:becky:

Every great pitmaster has at least one epic failure. Hard to do now, but chalk it up as an experience and don't let it shake your confidence. Better days to come.

Sorry to hear it but understand. I had a grease fire this weekend too. Clean the mess, learn from it and live to cook another day:)

Chit happens man. What can you do but move on. We all have our bad days. It happens. My point is at least there is not going to be a holiday named for your disaster. Mine though because I ate it and then nuked it and tried to eat it again it will live forever in bbq epic failure history as my failure created a holiday. Now if only we could get a free day off from work for it. You will live and you will recover and no one will remember but you. Unless you nuke leg of lamb and try to eat it you have nothing to worry about.

^^^^ All accurate information......sorry to hear of the cascading troubles, but things will resolve & you'll know a LOT more of what to watch for......even the crazy, unexpected stuff......hang in there & get back in the saddle....... :-D

Its all pretty well covered above, just glad its nothing Unfixable

I'll have to remember this thread when I get my LSG. I'll be going from charcoal to a stick burner and I KNOW I am going to fark up sometime while I learn to cook with it.

As PJTexas and Shane Falco said:

"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing BBQ with you."

Or something like that...

Welcome to the club brother. I think most of us if not all on this board have had a day or two where everything that could go wrong did. I wouldn't get too worked up over. Just chalk it up to a bad bbq day and start planning your next one. I bet it will be lights out good.

Thanks for the comments. The builder said it was highly unlikely it did any permanent damage to it. A little touch up paint and a new pop up tent that got burned up is a lot better than what it could have been. The smoker is really built well.

I spent the last 3 hours cleaning it up and oiling everything down again. I still have to clean up the water pan as well. It is supposed to rain for the next week again, so not sure when I will get to finish the clean up.

I live in the same town, and I'm impressed that you attempted to smoke during those storms. I'll keep an eye out the window for any future smoke signals.

I hope the smoker is still good.

Sorry to hear this. You have just shortened the learning curve considerably for any future Brethren who might read this.

Back