smoked bologna

padge31

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is a good rub for smoked bologna. I want to try this.

Thanks

Eric

Anything works really, Classic American dry rub thanks to Bbq pit boys

Recipe:
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Paprika
4 T Coarse Salt
3 T Coarse Pepper
2 t Onion Powder
2 t Garlic Powder
2 t Celery Seed
1 t Cayenne Pepper

Use what best suits you.

I use my everyday rub (OakRidge Competition Beef and Pork Rub), and I'll sprinkle some with some cayenne and make some spicy for myself.

Basically, whatever you like will work great!!!!

Bologna is danged good on the smoker! I cooked a 3 pound chunk a while back by first slathering it with yellow mustard, then giving it a generous coating of my rib rub.
While I was impressed with the way it came out, the next time I will lightly score the whole chunk in a diamond pattern for better smoke penetration.

I would recommend a good quality all beef bologna and not the stuff made with chicken or turkey

Anything works really, Classic American dry rub thanks to Bbq pit boys

Recipe:
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Paprika
4 T Coarse Salt
3 T Coarse Pepper
2 t Onion Powder
2 t Garlic Powder
2 t Celery Seed
1 t Cayenne Pepper

Does the Capital T stand for Tablespoon and the Small t stand for teaspoon?

I did a couple of these a while back, all beef, of course. They are called Blooming Bologna. You slice down, on 2 sides, to within an 1" or so of the bottom to make the flutes.
Apply the dry rub of choice to start, making sure it gets between the flutes. Then make a BBQ glaze by add a little water to your BBQ sauce until it is somewhat thin.
Then apply to the chub every 30-45 min.
Once done cut them off as you need to serve them. Great finger food item.
This is what you end up with.
IMG_2988_zpsaq6njmhq.jpg

Bologna is high in salt to begin with, so be mindful of that when choosing a rub. I like a base of garlic pepper (which does contain some salt by the way), and ground celery seed (not celery salt). Adding some brown sugar to this mix works well if you want a sweeter profile (but I do a sauce option at the end anyway). I mix a mustard slather (yellow mustard thinned with Wooster and dill pickle juice) and give it a coating of that too.

JFsJHNd.jpg

YaRcZP8.jpg

t5Nrhfa.jpg

dD3Gp1o.jpg

You can put it in a cold smoker too and keep it in cooked.

will this work with Oscar Meyer bologna:mrgreen:

Back