• sauce, we dont need no stinking sauce

Votes: 24 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I read a lot of post stating how much people love it. Personally i think its awful. Thick, glopy, spicy ketchup. The primary ingredient is hfcs followed by a number other questionable things. I prefer sauces consisting of things found in my pantry (who am i kidding, i have no pantry).

Maybe im just being a bbq snob. So how do yall feel about sbr. They have dozens of "styles", which one is your favorite.

I don't mind sweet, but it is too sweet. I keep it on hand though because it's what every single family member likes. I'll cut it with something, usually. Broth works for me.

Never tried it, but based off comments here about it being too sweet, glad I didn't...

Never buy it. I'll get Kraft Original before reaching for SBR. Then again, I haven't really bought much "Retail Store Brand" sauces at all in the last five years.

Don't usually use sauce. When I do it's home made, my go to is ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar mixed to taste. Occasionally when the fam gets together I'll do a T.G.I.Friday's Jack Daniels sauce clone which they all seem to enjoy.

does anybody cook on a rebel smoker? I purchased one without knowing a lot about gravity feed smokers. Just looking for some advice.

I have some in my pantry for whenever guests come over and they want some sauce and I am too lazy to make one. But I typically have home made sauces in my fridge. I also only serve sauce on the side (other than my pulled pork finishing sauce to give it another layer of complexity)

Two part answer for this one:

On ribs, pulled pork or any other smoked meat, absolutely not. Way too sweet for my tastes. I will serve in on the side for some of the family members that like the sweet stuff.

However, I will use 4oz of SBR in a 5lb batch of spicy smoked Venison snack sticks. The sweet compliments the heat, it just works.

I think Sweet Baby Rays is ok not bad for a commercial sauce. I don't use it often but I know some people (including my kids) like it.

I voted meh because I can take it or leave it though I rarely use it and never on my Q. But I've never tried thinning it with cider vinegar or other things people have mentioned.

I don't use it on fries. Speaking of fries, I'm planning to make Poutine tomorrow. Where's my Canadian brethren friends!? I've never made it....Maybe I will post pron (even though it isn't Q)

I voted "i love it, it's my go to" because it was the closest option.

I like the flavor and the thickness. It is what my family prefers, hence, it is my go-to sauce.

That being said, I could really do without the HFCS and quite honestly I don't usually use as much of it myself, rather let the meat and smoke stand alone. I do use it for glazing my ribs at the end of a cook usually.

So, I like it...I'd prefer not to use it too often...but it *is* my go-to.

Decent sauce for the price and for what's available in the store.

I voted meh, closest thing to "it's OK for off the grocery shelf".

There's plenty of brands out there that are worse. I agree with the overall opinion that it's awfully sweet. If I'm burning it onto the outside of chicken on the grill, it'll do.
Head Country is my fave.

Some of my clan like their ribs sauced, SBR works for that also.

Mike

I had to vote "I love it, it is my go-to sauce. Not because I love it, but because almost everyone I cook for does. There fore it is my go-to.
I am not much of a user of sauce myself.
My rib rub is fairly spicy-hot, and SBR's used as a glaze does produce a sweet-heat effect that is nice.
As someone mentioned, price is right.
I always get it at Publix on BOGO specials.

^^^ good point. I strongly agree that you cook to your audience and the price is hard to beat. I've tried several varieties just because the price was right.

I use the SBR Honey variety as a base along with another completely different sauce and other stuff for chicken and ribs. I make my own sauce for pork (thinner with vinegar).

Back