Sauce help

tomrip

Reaction score
Hello. i have been working on a sauce, and i have found the flavor that i love. only problem is the sauce turns out thin. not thin as water, but definitely no the consistency i am after. What can i do to thicken the sauce without changing the flavoe. i start with 2 cups of ketchup. ui have added more, then the flavor changes. Or if anyone can recommend a good Memphis style recipe that is thick let me know.

Mix 2-3% corn starch by weight into your sauce. You will want to mix the corn starch into cold water first or else it will form lumps when heated up.

After you mix in the corn starch, heat it to 200F then cool. You can adjust the amount of starch to your desired thickness if it's not what you want.

Mix 2-3% corn starch by weight into your sauce. You will want to mix the corn starch into cold water first or else it will form lumps when heated up.

After you mix in the corn starch, heat it to 200F then cool. You can adjust the amount of starch to your desired thickness if it's not what you want.
You can also use Arrowroot

If you don't want to add corn starch, arrowroot, etc... You can just cook it down. Bring it to just below a simmer and reduce until you get the consistency you want.

IF i cook it to hot, would that thin it down? it seems lie kti starts off kind of thick, then after cooking its thin.

Liquids decrease in viscosity the hotter they get. It will be thicker once it cools

Back