Answering the Question "is a one grill/smoker enough"?

Nerves

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Definitely NOT!

After much debate, research and reading almost everything I can get my hands on. I decided to move forward and purchase a Yoder YS640 Competition (even though I don't compete).

I've owned the BGE for around 8 years and it's truly a "pickup truck" of a "jack of all" (for me a grill that can smoke) and it was responsible for putting to rest an 11 burner stainless steel gas burner.

I have gotten used to the small cooking surface (XL) and with my limited skills could never "dial-in" holding 220 for a long cook (10+ hours). This to me was not a "big" (pun intended) issue but, the cooking surface (no that I have grandkids and seemly every holiday more people show up for free food); This past Easter was the tipping point as the wife mentioned "one big (again pun intended) was not enough anymore,...Please consider getting another one.." (love that lady!!!).

So fast forward, I had totally decided on getting the Stump XL or the Fast Eddie ...but, after answering the above question. Decided I'll start with a pellet and let the "free food heard" grow a little more before I get an into the 1000+ Cubic inches of cooking surfaces (third grill!).

So this past Saturday, the delivery was made (got a great deal for a floor unit/unused) and since the "burn in period (1 hour 350). I delivered a full slab of Baby backs, apple sausage, and whole chickens.

nhHkeaTXkS5sYsu58

k3XgiLCeBcj2T8jC7

Talked to my buddy who plays guitars and he said he completely understands the need to have more than one!!

I need more than one for sure. I currently have 5 in rotation. That number fluctuates up and down from time to time but never goes below 3. :heh:

I think it is. I'm consolidating from a Backwoods Fatboy, BGE XL, BGE L, 2 WSMs, Weber Kettle, Rosle Grill to a FEC 120 and a Yoder Flat Top. There's more than enough capacity there to get what I need done so, in my case, one of each is enough. :)

This obviosly doesn't take the cool factor into account. There are several others that I'd love to own, but my wife isn't having a yard full of gear, so it's a compromise. :)

My Bride was concerned when I had 15 on the patio. That was when Bretheren peeps posted Q Photos frequently always with various cool beer photos. Since he departed I don't drink as much, sold off a bunch of cookers and haven't bought or wanted anything in a long time. The first five in my signature are my primary cookers. They do everything I need. If I was forced to have only one outdoor cooker--I'd dump everything and get a large Saber Gasser. That and the Bride's kitchen oven --wear white tennis shoes and crew socks --and Mall Walk, surrender and declare myself defeated.

8-10 is a good number.
One is the loneliest number. TDN

Last edited:
It's the same with bicycles, I have four, they all have different purposes and strengths and weaknesses. I've got two mountain bikes, one has no suspension and is a single speed, the other has gears and a suspension fork on the front. The single speed is my go-fast with no maintenance bike, and my favorite. The bike with gears and suspension is my cheater bike, for really long rides, or heading to the mountains, or really rough terrain. And I've got two 'road' bikes, a traditional race type bike that's fairly light with tight geometry and a stiff frame, the perfect tool for pedaling really hard for a few hours at the weekly fast group ride (where we average over 20mph!). The other road bike is a custom handmade 'all-road' bike. It's got a more upright riding position, longer wheelbase and slacker geometry for better stability over loose surfaces, hydraulic disc brakes, and it'll fit bigger tires. The road race bike has 26mm wide tires on it, the all-road has 43mm - you can ride it on anything you might call a road. It's great for long days on dirt and gravel roads. It's comfortable, stable, and you can ride it pretty much anywhere, even MTB trails (tho you're not gonna nearly as fast as you would with a proper MTB). You might say it's the BGE of the bunch.

In the bike world we always say the correct number of bikes is n+1, where 'n' is the number you currently own. This formula works for all sorts of hobbies!

Road race:
KYtxvjhh.jpg

All-Road (loaded down for an overnight camping trip):
b9Y69zHh.jpg

Cheater MTB:
VAGWPvEh.jpg

Singlespeed MTB:
PiRkCl5h.jpg

Last edited:
Only if the only thing you cook is hot dogs and hamburgers :shocked:

I think around 12 here. I need different cookers whether it be for a few chicken wings or a whole animal, or whatever in between. I've started racking up rotissirie thingees as well.

And 4 drum kits. :redface:

Well, I've got two pellet grills, a gasser, a cinderblock pit, a charcoal park grill (love that thing!) and a propane smoker that hasn't been used in...um...more than 4 years.

Out of all of those, the wee GMG Davy Crockett gets used the most, although lately the cinderblock pit is running a close second because it's a new toy. They all give a different flavor profile, so it just depends on what I'm after and how much time I've got. Pellet grills are the go to when I don't have much time. The pit gets used when I have an excess of Pecan and time.

Talked to my buddy who plays guitars and he said he completely understands the need to have more than one!!

One of anything is never enough! While new to the BBQ bug, I'm doing both so I'm definitely in trouble. 6 Guitars, 4 Amp's, Various Pedals and other music things, a gasser, a 22" WSM, and a beast of a Stumps sitting in my garage waiting to be refurbished.

I'm down to a Weber Gasser and a Drum right now, I could really get by with just those 2 but sometime this summer I'll plan on adding a Pellet Grill or Weber Performer, a Blackstone Pizza Oven is on the radar as well. Once I get the Blackstone I'll probably give the Weber to our son if he wants it or sell it.

My favorite hobby is surfing and at one time I was up to 9 boards 2 of those I kept in CA with a good friend who lived in Newport Beach so I didn't have to pay Airline board fees. Being older and not traveling as much or surfing as much, I've whittled myself down to 3 Boards and could probably live with 2.

No! When I built my UDS, I sold my offset. I've regretted that ever since. I'd get another offset if I had somewhere to store it, but since I rent, I'm limited. Once we buy a house, I'll be getting a new offset, and building others too.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I like having the versatility of different smokers. I love the flavor profile of my stick burner but the set it and forget of the cabinet or drum is great too.

I have a dedicated smoker (Large LSG Cabinet that can handle a buttload of meat), and the WSCG (replaced my gasser) that can smoke small amounts or is my go to grill. I don't see the need for any more than that.

Back