Gravity Feed Smoker

Hog1990

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am thinking hard about going this route for my next smoker. I would appreciate any insights and advice. What are the best ones out there: Stumps, Superior, Vulcan, Viking Range??? Thanks for any direction.

I'll second the Stumps but regardless of brand, going with a gravity fed is a solid choice. Don't forget about Assassin and Backwoods...a couple more options just to convolute things. :)

Good luck!

I'll second the Stumps but regardless of brand, going with a gravity fed is a solid choice. Don't forget about Assassin and Backwoods...a couple more options just to convolute things. :)

Good luck!

I don't think Backwoods offers gravity fed? I may be wrong

Backwoods is not gravity fed

Viking is a stumps clone - they basically purchased his design and made a stumps that is all chrome. You pay for the name/chrome, but its basically a Stumps clone.

I went through this a few months back. I originally was looking at the Stump's baby XL but then discovered Assassin, Superior, Rebel and others from this site. After talking with several of the brethren, and the folks at C & C Manufacturing I decided the Assassin 24 was the best bang for the buck. I've had it for almost 2 months and I love it. No regrets.

I have a few pictures of it here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3062396&postcount=25

Good luck with your decision.

The Assassin smokers are the real deal. I've had mine for over a year and it cooks great. Plus, the company is easy to work with. Do a search and check out some of the owners videos.

Southern Q Smokers has the absolute best design. Deep South Smokers build quality is 2nd to none.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
Love my Stumps. Hook it up with a BBQ Guru and sleep soundly all night while that brisket slowly smokes to perfection.

Which one of the gravity feed smokers has more of an even tempurature control from top to bottom inside cooking chamber that will accodate a full size hotel pan?

Another vote for Stumps, I love my Baby. Not knocking the other ones that were mentioned, I didn't know about The Assassin smokers when I made my purchase so it came down to the Stumps or a Backwoods. Not having to deal with a water pan is what sold me on the Stumps. Good Luck with your decision. :thumb:

I currently have an Assassin, Stumps and a Deep South (and also freely admit that I have a problem :-D) and each have there own merits despite the fact that they are all gravity fed. But if I was forced to pick one it would be a Deep South. The quality of craftsmanship that Randall and his team put into his cookers is second to none.

Backwoods is not gravity fed

Viking is a stumps clone - they basically purchased his design and made a stumps that is all chrome. You pay for the name/chrome, but its basically a Stumps clone.

304-series stainless, not chrome. :thumb:

+1 more for Deep South Smokers. After literally years of looking at cabinets and gravity feeds, it came down to both Randall and the quality of the cooker. The damned thing is completely welded, and the only thing that isn't is the gaskets so that they can be changed. Also, the unique heat distribution is pretty cool, and these things are winning GCs and RGCs almost every weekend. In addition, the finish is better than my wife's Honda minivan even if I can't get the picture oriented properly!

Attachments

• Fixed.jpg
    Fixed.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 325
Deep South Smokers Competition Smoker
Tell Randell Matt from Pots BBQ told you to call.

Hey Matt,

Is there a reason you are selling all your smokers? :) and you are about 4th in line for the referral!

They all seem incredible. The deciding factor if it was me would be grease management. They all seem to do something a little different.

Back