BBQ Restaurant in Rockford, Illinois

BBQDane

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Brethren

I'm going on a business trip to Rockford, Illinois in week 43, and would like to know if there is a BBQ restaurant which you would recommend.
It should not be to far away from Rockford :thumb:

I live in Denmark, and this is my first visit to the USA - so I'm very exited and would love to taste some real great Q :-D

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Google list quite a few in the area, but I cannot say if they are good or bad.

I posted to bump the message back to the top, maybe some of the other Brethren will read it and can chime in to help you out.

Have a safe trip, I presume maybe you have made arrangements to locate some rubs to take back with you..

I wish I could help, but I don't really know Rockford. I could recommend a couple places, but they would be at least an hour drive for you

A quick Yelp search says that Chubby Guy's BBQ and Smokin' Coop BBQ pit are good, but I haven't tried either one.

I did a member search of those in Rockford IL and PM'd them with the link to this thread and a link to BBQDane's profile so they can private message him.

Hopefully some one can assist him before he leaves. I understand the rules here and why the message was moved, but honestly nobody really scans this forum on a regular basis so I fear he may not get any replies here.

I did see that Ron's link for the Machine Shed has Brisket and Ribs on the menu....

Machine Shed Menu in .pdf

That member is me! I made a special trip there for dinner tonight just to post back here. I've driven past the Smokin' Coop a number of times, but never stopped. Today I did.

It's on the corner of Business 20 and Beaver Valley Road. NOT US route 20! It's a small cinderblock building and outdoor seating area. Some picnic tables and some more under a shelter. Live bluegrass music from 3-6pm on Saturdays. They are open from 11-7 Mon-Sat., and only from April until the last weekend in September.

They have pulled pork, brisket, turkey club, ham and cheese, and chicken sandwiches all priced between $5.50 and $7.00. Full rack of ribs is $20. Also hot dog, brat, cheddar brat and Italian sausage. Sides are beans, potato salad, coleslaw, loaded baked potato. Dessert is three kinds of pie; apple, something I forgot, and "Forest Berry" pie, which is apple, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry and rhubarb all in one!

I got the brisket, which is served on a hoagie with au jus, and a Forest Berry pie. The brisket was very tender with a LOT of smoke in the flavor. I expected more bark, but I'm a bark man. It did seem a little bland. Pie was incredible!

Disclaimer is that I might not be the best person to taste-test Q. I have only been Q-ing for a little over a year, and it's all been butts and 3 racks of ribs. I've never done a brisket myself, and it's been a long time since I've had brisket at our local Famous Dave's, which is a BBQ chain. Maybe I should have gotten the pork :confused: I'd say stop by if you get a chance. Like I said, Famous Dave's is actually in Rockford and they crank out some good Q as well.

Hey Sigurd

Thanks for your information about Smokin' Coop.

I will be in Rockford for about 1 week, possibly staying at the Hilton Garden Inn or at the Courtyard.

Just checked the distance from these 2 hotels, and it's about 3,8 miles to the Smokin Coop - just a short drive with car :thumb:

So maybe I'll give it a try.

I know right where those hotels are. State St. and Business 20 are the same thing. It's really convenient. Someone mentioned Machine Shed. You could walk there from either hotel.

When will you be here?

I will be there from saturday the 18th, until friday the 24th of October.
I will be there together with 4 others from our Company.
2 of us, myself included will arrive on saturday, the others will follow next day, sunday.

I'm an IT Consultant, and one of our warehouses / production facilities wants to implement a new SAP warehouse management setup, to optimize every process at the site in Rockford.

http://www.danfoss.com/North_America/

October? They said that they close September 27th. They're only open five months of the year. :sad:

Rockford might not be the best place for BBQ. I was out there for work and attempted to find a decently reviewed place and not sure it will work. Unfortunately I think you need to get in the car a drive a little to some places in either Chicago or the suburbs of Chicago.

Actually I will go to Chicago.
I will arrive late afternoon on saturday, and sunday will be a day off for sightseeing and other stuff.
A colleague who will come same time as me on saturday mentioned to me, why not go and visit Chicago - so maybe that's the place to get some great Q :-D

BBQDane- Couple of OK BBQ spots in the city, but if you want some really great "other types of food", I'd be happy to go get some with you- we have a lot of great places! :mrgreen:

Or shoot, we can cook at my place!!

Would love to get some other Brethren out, too!!

Twin Anchors in Chicago had awesome ribs back in the day - they're still open for business.

Back