Cochinita Pibil

CraigC

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm using a whole, boneless pork shoulder, about 5#. It went in the fridge overnight with an achiote marinade. Took it out around 6:00 am to warm up. I fired up the Egg around 6:30 am using lump. As the Egg heated up, I prepped the pork.

36788-albums991-picture5961.jpg

36788-albums991-picture5960.jpg

Put it on at 7:45 am. Updates to follow.

:thumb: I have some fresh warm maiz tortillas left over from breakfast:becky::pray:

Yes please. Got the popcorn ready for this one.

Close. He wanted al pastor.

Puerco Pibil actually...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb7wRPOtNB4"]Johnny Depp in "Shooting the Cook, Restoring the Balance" Movie Clip from Once Upon a Time in Mexico - YouTube[/ame]

:thumb:

Internal temp is 180F. When it reaches 190F I will pull it, wrap it and let it rest while we go to the grocery. Hit 190F at 1:00 pm.

36788-albums991-picture5962.jpg

Foiled to rest.

36788-albums991-picture5963.jpg

After returning from the grocery, I made the Pico to go with it and let it macerate. Time to unwrap! Stripped to the banana leaves.

36788-albums991-picture5965.jpg

Stripped to the money!

36788-albums991-picture5966.jpg

Pulled and ready for the tacos! That is if we can stop stuffing our faces!:shock:

36788-albums991-picture5967.jpg

Man is this some good chit!:clap2:

Craig,
If I bring you the banana leaves for the next time, can I have so me please?
Marty

Craig,
If I bring you the banana leaves for the next time, can I have so me please?
Marty

Oh, you want me to do it. You have access to the same Latin-American groceries that I have. Do it yourself!:mrgreen: You will not be sorry.:thumb: I was a virgin with this until today!:shocked: :mrgreen:

Nice! A local place here in Sac makes this and when it's cooked properly and fresh, it's VERY tasty. I found a video of them making it. They improvise for smoking the meat, but I gotta tell you that it tastes pretty darn good. It's very rich in flavor.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61VGuq2VEgA"]Cochinita Pibil Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the link. I took my normal recipe for Carnitas and tried it on a pork butt. Didn't work. All we could taste was the Cumin. The rest of the spices (heat and other) just disappeared.

Yum, Carnitas. Can't beat pork chunk confit! Gotta be done in manteca though! Oil just doesn't get it.

Back