Bacon Cure Bag, ziplock or foodSaver?

2drunk2Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've bought a pork belly and I'm going to cure it to make bacon. Would I be ok to cure the belly in a foodSaver bag? Do I need to just seal bag or remove all air? Or should I just use a big ziploc bag? Probably a dumb question but it's my first time trying. Thanks

Don't try removing the air, but sealing with a foodsaver is a great way to keep the mess to a minimum. With ziplocks I always end up having to double bag because I get salt and spices in the zipper part and it won't seal right.

Either type of bag will work fine, idea is to remove most of the air so the belly sits flat. Don't use cheap bag, you get what you pay.

If you use a Foodsaver bag use caution not to get liquid into the machine when you seal it.

I use a foodsaver bag, just press out as much air as I can and then seal it without pulling a vacuum.

+1,
I have cured bacon in a ziplock and foodsaver and you just have to be careful to ensure a good seal. I always place the bagged bacon in a shallow container to be safe.

I use zip lock bags for wet-curing and recently started wrapping dry-cured bacon with plastic wrap (3-4 tightly wrapped layers) with good results.

This is what I do too. Zip lock or crock for brine cure and plastic wrap for dry cured.
I have some old enamel ware that works great. Just keep the meat submerged.

The biggest thing is to make sure it is totally submerged in the brine wether bucket or bag .we use to use plastic drums with weight on top to brine and overhaul every couple of days ie:rotate

Zip locks, plastic wrap, even a shallow pan covered in wrap, it's all good.

Not trying to hijack but........
Which works easier/better for belly wet or dry cure?

Both have their pluses and minuses.

Dry equilibrium cure uses less ingredients but you have to be careful to mix well and make sure it is evenly coated to avoid cure burning spots and not curing others. You still have to wrap because moisture will be drawn out of the meat and holding it in that liquid is important to getting a good even result.

Wet curing IMHO is easier to get an even, consistent and repeatable result. Mix up the brine first and flip/rotate periodically and everything will be evenly distributed. You have to add salt cure and spices for the water weight and the meat weight, so it uses more of everything. You also have the extra liquid to handle. Also, when the meat comes out of the wet cure, it will have a bit more moisture content, so I like to give it a few days of drying in the fridge before smoking rather than 24 hours for a dry cured.

I have moved to exclusively doing wet cure for may bacon because I like the results despite the extra ingredients used and extra couple of days.

recently started wrapping dry-cured bacon with plastic wrap (3-4 tightly wrapped layers) with good results.

Ditto....I started with the big Zip Locks, too. Without fail they would leak....well, most of them would. Plus....they get kinda pricey if you're doing a lot of belly.

I took a chance and started wrapping in plastic wrap VERY WELL. it works like a charm....no leaking and the price is right....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

If you mix the cure with your salt/sugar completely, dry is no problem, I find it very simple, and have never had a problem with either belly or loins for canadian bacon.
Measure out and apply the required mix per pound of meat, wrap or bag and that's it.

Back