THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aggro

hi all from the uk

I plan to build a vertical smoker out of bricks with 2 chambers. firepit and smoke area. I was wondering is it best to line the smoking area with ceramic tiles for cleaning and retaining heat etc. Or can i just leave the brick finish.

Also should the brick structure be 2 bricks thick or is 1 ok as i dont plan to make it to tall.

thanks

Lee

I've contemplated doing the same thing, so I'd be very interested in what the consensus is. Do you plan on creating the firebox with a grill top for the times you want to grill?

no a straight forward smoker with firepit,then a shelf for water/sand or other difusser and the 2 shelfs for food then a domed top with chimney.

as stated earlier my main concerns are is 1 thickness of brick is that enough to retain heat. If lined with tiles will they crack and does this help for heat retension.

thanks

I'd thought about using slabs of fireplace brick like I have lining my fireplace, but I honestly haven't done any homework to see if they are food safe. The are obviously high heat safe. They seem thin enough that I would imagine that if they are food safe, using them as a liner would be ideal. Is that something you would consider?

Firebricks are food safe. Most pizza ovens are built with firebricks and pizza dough peeled directly onto the brick floor.
But really, you don't need firebricks because you're not dealing with high temps here. Clay bricks in the smoke chamber should be sufficient and thickness will determine heat retention. Too thick, it can take extra time to bring the chamber to temp as it takes more time for the thicker walls to absorb heat. You can also go thin walls and insulate.
Now the firepit, on the other hand, can use firebricks.

Fire bricks on floor and sides. Common face brick for smoke shelf and throat. I'm a bricklayer and have built several.

Mine has concrete blocks (aka cinder blocks), 8x8x16, for the exterior and for the cook chamber walls. The firebox is concrete blocks on the outside, firebrick on the inside, with a gap between filled with rockwool. I also have rockwool in the channels through the blocks, but you could pour insulating concrete there also (ie, concrete + perlite or vermiculite).

In a vertical, the door is usually pretty large, so that's an important part of the cost/thermal. Are you going to commission a custom welded door+fram or make one?

i have started my smoker , but was wondering will a tall thin chimney or a short fat chimney be better once I get the roof on. I thought not bad brick laying as this was only my second ever attempt at brick laying.

Attachments

• 20140726_173756.jpg
    20140726_173756.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 88
Back