smithfield ribs from walmart

i hear Smithfield has something big in the works

Primes have become paper thin and scarce here. Full spares are 4.1-4.5lbs loaded with shiners, stl cuts weighing 2.7 average.

Maybe they will ignore the bacon market and give us a line with consistently thick trim.

I cooked injected Primes this week, mine were in the 3.3# range, but all three slabs were trimmed to bone on width. I can't remember ever having more than one slab I didn't need to narrow up. 3.3 on a real STL trim is a pretty meaty slab.

I cooked the ET's for a few contests and did OK, but for whatever reason the end product does not seem as consistent as I get with Primes. Injecting is more work, but I like being able to control the time the meat is exposed to the 'brine'.

Some cases are better than others, but its not like it was in spring.

I like being able to control the time the meat is exposed to the 'brine'.

Gotta wear gloves to keep the pickled egg smell off your skin

If anyone wants to try these better get them before they're gone from walmarts, sounds like September 6th they will be gone! Better stock up...

What's next, back to Duroc?

If anyone wants to try these better get them before they're gone from walmarts, sounds like September 6th they will be gone! Better stock up...
I was planning to suffer Walmart tomorrow to try these over the weekend. Can you please expand on what you know about Walmart's distribution for this product?

I was planning to suffer Walmart tomorrow to try these over the weekend. Can you please expand on what you know about Walmart's distribution for this product?[/QUOTE

After September 6th you probably wont be seeing the Extra Tender Ribs in all stores nationwide. They well still be in select Wal Mart stores. They are fine to freeze for those of you who have comps or outings or raging BBQ's after the 6th. Head on over to Wal Mart and load up! #smithfieldbrands

Now that "the date" has come and gone, is there a listing of which stores will still be carrying these?

SInce WM no longer has the exclusive rights to them, i wonder if other stores will be able to stock them like HEB here in Texas?

SInce WM no longer has the exclusive rights to them, i wonder if other stores will be able to stock them like HEB here in Texas?

From what I've seen, HEB only wants all natural ribs. Nothing with any "enhancements". Kroger, on the other hand, has the "moist and tender" line, and I've been told that those are relabeled Smithfield ET. They've been really similar in my experience.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
From what I've seen, HEB only wants all natural ribs. Nothing with any "enhancements". Kroger, on the other hand, has the "moist and tender" line, and I've been told that those are relabeled Smithfield ET. They've been really similar in my experience.

From what I can tell the Kroger "Moist and Tender" are not smithfield ET ribs relabeled. The ET ribs have a salt solution as well as a 2% phosphate solution. The kroger ribs lack the phosphates.

I cooked Kroger ribs for 2-3 years and liked them the best until i heard about the ET brand on this thread

Now that "the date" has come and gone, is there a listing of which stores will still be carrying these?

Appears that I'm lucky and my Walmart still carries them, all weighed between 4-4.5#s....:biggrin1:

XACE8h.jpg

bump ;-)

So where do I find these ribs now that my local Walmart dropped them?

Back