Tacos de lengua ( beef tongue tacos) #WSCG

Tony for some reason I don't want to eat tongue but those tacos are awesome

Tony; sorry for the unnecessary comment.
To all; I'm kind of surprised that there are so many who have never had lengua tacos. They are a staple at any Mexican food truck.
Tongue meat has a ton of flavor, a very pleasant flavor unlike any other cut of the cow, but it has a certain rubbery texture that some love and many hate. I love it. If you like tripe (my favorite being Chinese dim sum style with ginger, vinegar, and green onion), you will likely love tongue.
I parboiled for an hour and I was still unable to pull the skin off and had to cut it away. It was not that difficult and next time I will likely skip the parboiling. Put a Mexican rub on it (stuff I actually found at a bodega, not a carnitas rub but some general no-name rub) and smoked it for three hours with white oak. Came out well. Made great breakfast tacos.

After its thawed out use a very sharp knife. Once you start you will realize how easy it is to trim the skin. The. Season and smoke as usual.

Tony,

I sincerely thank you for the suggestion. I will thaw the tongue and use a very sharp knife, as suggested.

Your spice mixture looks to be very much different from what I'd probably use on a beef tongue.

Is there any chance that you'd kick me (and us) in the direction that you'd choose for smoking a beef tongue for lengua tacos?

If not, no worries. I'm a big pain in the arse, and I'm good at it.

Easily on of the sexiest plates of tacos I have ever laid eyes on, very nicely done. I'm not a fan of seeing it raw, and i think I've only tried it twice, but I would jump into a plate of those anytime.

Just picked up 2lb tongue from a local grass fed farm. At $5 per lbs you really cant beat it. We like to braise and eat on corn tortillas topped with cilantro, onions and salsa verde

Tony...how does this version compare to your other one last year you posted here?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215725&highlight=beef+tongue

I noticed on last year's post you didn't peel the tongue first...thoughts on which you liked better? I've cooked a couple following what you did in 2015. 1st one skin peeled away easily after cooking...2nd time I had to trim it after cooking. Thanks for both recipes!!!!

How would you describe the texture when smoked in this manner? Rubbery, at all? My beef tongue is now thawing.

Tony,

I sincerely thank you for the suggestion. I will thaw the tongue and use a very sharp knife, as suggested.

Your spice mixture looks to be very much different from what I'd probably use on a beef tongue.

Is there any chance that you'd kick me (and us) in the direction that you'd choose for smoking a beef tongue for lengua tacos?

If not, no worries. I'm a big pain in the arse, and I'm good at it.

The rub I used was for brisket. I used hickory for smoke. Treat it as a brisket.

Easily on of the sexiest plates of tacos I have ever laid eyes on, very nicely done. I'm not a fan of seeing it raw, and i think I've only tried it twice, but I would jump into a plate of those anytime.

That's normal. It feels weird when I'm trimming it.

Tony...how does this version compare to your other one last year you posted here?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215725&highlight=beef+tongue

I noticed on last year's post you didn't peel the tongue first...thoughts on which you liked better? I've cooked a couple following what you did in 2015. 1st one skin peeled away easily after cooking...2nd time I had to trim it after cooking. Thanks for both recipes!!!!

This recent version is faster cook. I got the idea from Carlos Mex Q tioners the guy that posted before you. (Picture of the tongue). Plus more smoke flavor.

How would you describe the texture when smoked in this manner? Rubbery, at all? My beef tongue is now thawing.

The best way I describe it a super tender brisket but will hold its texture and not crumble.

Awesome! Just picked up my steer from my butcher....and he threw the tongue away! Ahhh! It's on my cut sheet dude! He was like, no one ever wants it. Love lengua, yours looks great.

Oh, snap! Great memories from cooks past.

Jeremiah - I'm sure you could use a well-placed size 12 to help fix things (especially alongside the paperwork you mentioned)...

I need to do this again SOON. AH-Mazing tacos/burritos.

Looks good. Corned beef tongue is amazing. Corned beef tongue pastrami is good too. I prefer the original corned version, but both blow the brisket versions out of the water.

Back