New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

O/U n Pecos are 14 guage and drafty/Leaky - Fine for stick burning but not so much smoking on charcoal. Assassin is 1/8" with an insulated double wall lid/cook chamber door and much more airtight and direct/internal firebox to run well on charcoal......but Quality costs more.......

No, the Set it forget it on charcoal with Guru part........

Ah, that makes more sense! I guess I should have included that I'm not held up on that... I understand that I'm biting off more work with a stick burner. The challenge of fire management sounds fun to me. And I'd be keeping my UDS for overnight cooks. I think what initially scared me about the fire management was the concept that I'd need to do that for 14-16 hours at a time, but when I saw Bludawgs post on his briskets, I got a feeling that maybe "low and slow" wasn't the only way to cook great brisket? <-- What are your thoughts on this statement? Managing a fire from 8am-4pm doesn't bother me at all, because I can sleep at night and then hang out with the fire during the day and have dinner on the table by 6. I'm used to cooking butts and briskets at 225 and having them run 10-16 hours depending on size.

275*-300* is where it's at. ...:heh: Briskets in 6-8 hrs, Ribs in 4, Butts 8-10 on 10-12 lbrs and can be 6 hrs on 5/6 lbrs.......

On these thermos straight up is 312-315*ish

Crunch Time - Guests are Here - serving in 2 hrs......4 Briskets still tight........

Last edited:
HAH! Funny you say that. Smoking aside, a 26" kettle has been my planned purchase for 2 years (had been waiting on my 22" to die). But then I decided I'd love to have a bigger smoker too (been hosting bigger parties and would like to be able to do more than pork butts for the quantity of people). Should I take it from these alternate suggestions that grilling on the O/U is not preferable?

I grilled 4 chicken breasts, 8 brats, and 8 hamburger patties last night on the O/U without any issues. Just cut your wood up into smaller chunks and throw them into the fire box. The sliding grate works well. Just slide the grate out, flip the chicken and burgers, put the grate back in. For turning the brats, there is plenty of room to maneuver a pair of tongs. I wont be using a charcoal grill again.

What a read! I too am in the market for a real smoker, and also saw the Old Country O/U at academy. Did a little reading online at different forums and found this place to have all the information I needed to formulate a decision and I'll be picking one up this week. There are at least two locally, I went to check them out this past weekend. Thanks to all you who have posted here as I've gained a wealth of knowledge.

Nice! I just pulled two 15 lb butts off the smoker and have some smoked sausage going now. I'm gonna be selling sandwiches at my buddy's multi family yard sale this afternoon and tomorrow. Hoping to get some cash to offset the cost of purchasing one of those beasts for myself!!

For those of you with the over and under (and two temp probes mounted on the front), do you ever find them to be more than a few degrees difference? I feel like they would be far enough away from the fire box to be mostly regulated. Especially being that close to the hot lid. But, if they do run differently, I definitely want to get two...

Last edited:
I believe my dial thermometers read differently. They read 10 degrees different. Maybe they can be adjusted, who knows. I did just purchase a good thermometer - iGrill2 Complete Master Kit with 3 Pro Meat Probes & 1 Ambient Pro Probe. It's got an app that I can use to check the temps and all, seems like it will be helpful. Hoping for better accuracy on the cooking.

First few cooks on the O/U

I did a couple test runs this week and smoked some breakfast fatties (pics included). Today I fired her up and threw on 9 racks of loin backs and a packer. I'm supplying a few friends with some BBQ for their 4th of July activities. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone who answered my questions on my quest to find the right smoker! I'm happy with my decision!

Attachments

• IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3599.jpg
    IMG_3599.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3573.jpg
    IMG_3573.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 165
How long have you had the smoker? I have read several reviews that claim the smoker has rusted terribly in several places mainly around the hinges and doors

I've only had it a week, so I haven't had any trouble (other than my firebox door is hard to open as the smoker is heating up. (Fine after an hour or so) I plan to hit the whole outside with WD40 to protect the paint after I get the stupid sticker off the front. Just haven't had time yet. I also bought the cover that goes with it. It did well today.

Attachments

• IMG_3611.jpg
    IMG_3611.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 136
Back